If you’ve ever compared 4K footage to “full HD” (i.e., 1080p) video, you’ll notice a significant difference. 4K video has multiple times the number of pixels as 1080p video, which means it has significantly more detail.
So, if you have a smart doorbell to assist secure your property from theft, doesn’t it make sense to have a smart doorbell that records in the greatest quality possible?
This is correct, but there are a few viable 4K smart doorbell possibilities (including Feels and a DIY technique), albeit you are currently pretty limited. Fortunately, a few smart doorbells have recording quality superior to ‘full HD.’
Smart Doorbells and the Problem With ‘Full HD’ Recording Quality
Smart doorbells are fantastic since they replace (or sit beside) your standard doorbell and, in addition to alerting you when someone approaches your front door, they record persons who stroll close. This might be handy for crime prevention as well as keeping a watch on your community in general.
While many aren’t full-fledged security systems (like hardwired CCTV cameras), they perform many of the same roles, which means that recording quality is critical.
Currently, many smart doorbells provide ‘full HD’ recording quality, which is 19201080 pixels. While this may appear good – especially because HD stands for High Definition – it does not always enable you to see people’s faces at night or even car plate numbers when they pass by during the day.
This can be aggravating, especially if you need to get a license plate number or view someone’s face in connection with a crime. When you can’t decipher these facts, you’ll wonder what the point of your smart doorbell is.
They are typically useful, but ones that record in higher resolution than full HD are much better.
Why 4K Smart Doorbells Would Be Awesome?
I said before that 4K captures four times the number of pixels as full HD. It’s practical twice as broad and tall (therefore 2 x 2 = four times as many pixels), but what does this mean? Paul Hibbert evaluated a 4K smart camera, demonstrating its different quality over full HD.
If you’ve been to an electronics/TV store in the recent decade, you’ve seen 4K TV screens that compare the quality to full HD – and they show a huge difference between the two video standards.
A 4K shrewd doorbell would be fabulous in light of the fact that, rather than attempting to make out vehicle plate numbers and individuals’ countenances from a good way, you would have the option to do it easily – an unmistakable benefit over full HD.
So, are there any 4K smart doorbells on the market? So, in the next two sections, I’ll go through this.
Feels: the World’s first 4K smart doorbell?!
None of the major smart doorbell manufacturers, including Ring, Nest, and Eufy, offer 4K smart doorbells. In reality, a search on Amazon for “4k smart doorbell” yields… no relevant results. Oh, no.
There are a few clarifications behind this (as I portray in the “Defects with 4K brilliant doorbells” segment underneath) yet fortunately, Feels – a relatively new player in the smart home field – has a well-funded IndieGoGo campaign that has already resulted in the production of hundreds of 4K smart doorbells.
Unfortunately, despite original targets for December 2020 delivery, the most recent reports (as of February 2020) indicated what had pushed things back for various reasons, including China production delays and the pandemic effect.
There have also been some complaints from backers that the program contains several issues. New Feels app upgrades are coming out all the time to fix these issues, but the Feels 4K doorbell is still in the works.
Nonetheless, I’m hoping that it’ll be able to overcome its manufacturing challenges since I’d want to put it through its paces. Can you ‘DIY’ it because no other ‘off the shelf’ doorbells offer 3840×2160 resolution?
A DIY 4K Smart Doorbell
Several online instructions teach you how to create a smart doorbell yourself – using a Raspberry Pi. These range in price from $40 to $150, depending on what you want to accomplish, in any case, many individuals go for a straightforward 1080p (Full HD) camera focal point.
Nonetheless, in April 2020, the Raspberry Pi blog unveiled a new 4K camera for $50. This can record at 40-60 fps relying upon settings, which is fairly momentous – especially given that Ring devices often only accomplish 15 fps.
On Amazon, you can also find a little cheaper Pi-compatible camera named Arducam. This records at a higher resolution than 4k (at 4192×3120 pixels), however, only at 12 frames per second.
So, if you’re up for a challenge, creating your Pi-powered smart doorbell may be a great idea – especially if you use Sony’s official Pi camera, which can arrive at an undeniable degree of FPS even at 4K goal.
Why FPS Matters (Both Good and Bad)
FPS stands for ‘first-person shooter,’ as most gamers are aware. In this context, it stands for ‘frames per second.’ A frame is a collection of numerous still pictures that make up a video. As a result, if a movie has 30 still pictures (frames) every second, it is referred to as a 30 fps video.
This is significant because if a video were just two frames per second (for example), you’d only get two pictures per second – resulting in an extremely jumpy film that may miss vital details like the license plate number of a passing automobile. As a result, a greater frame rate is preferable.
I am generally speaking! As the next section explains, a high FPS mixed with 4K video quality might be a drawback.
The Flaws With 4K Smart Doorbells
The concept of high FPS, high-resolution video is fantastic: you can see people’s faces and license plate numbers even if they’re sprinting (or driving) by.
However, keep in mind that smart cameras include smart functions, such as only getting motion alerts if it detects a person. Alternatively, you can get notifications if motion is detected in a certain camera zone (such as a path or walkway).
All of this requires on-device computing power to function properly. However, the more frames in a video (i.e., the higher the FPS), the more needed processing power. This is also true for pixels: the more pixels there are, the more necessary processing.
On the off chance that you had a full HD 15 fps video (say, from Ring) and compared it to a 4K 30 fps video (say, from a DIY smart doorbell), you’d need 8x the processing power to monitor the video stream effectively and send out the required messages.
Ouch. This isn’t ideal, especially because it will inevitably cost more money because more powerful gear will be required.
Second, this needs additional storage space. In the event that you store the video cuts locally, your NAS should be multiple times the size of a full HD NAS to hold a 4K video.
If you keep the recorded video in the cloud, you will still need to pay for more storage space – and you may need to update your internet connection as well because the needed upload rates will be 4x faster!
The third fault with a 4K smart doorbell consumes significantly more electricity, whether plugged in or battery-powered. This is due to the additional processing needs of 4K footage than full HD video.
Finally, 4K smart doorbells are not widely available! Yes, the Feels doorbell is interesting, but it’s currently a very low-production device that won’t be widely available for a couple of years (if it does enter mainstream production at all, that is). So what’s the other option?
Suitable Alternatives to 4K Smart Doorbells
If you want higher than full HD recording quality (which I do!), there are two popular options: the Ring Doorbell Pro 2 and the Eufy 2K doorbell.
The Eufy 2K doorbell records in a resolution of – you guessed it – 2K. Uh oh, another buzzword! This is better than full HD but poorer than 4K, with a 2560 x 1920.
The Ring Doorbell Pro 2 has a resolution of 1,536p (1536 pixels tall). However, the width is unknown at the time of writing.
Finally, the Nest Hello records at a resolution of 1600 x 1200p. While this implies a narrower vision (1600p vs. 1920p for full HD), it also means a somewhat taller perspective (1200p vs. 1080p for full HD), which helps you see more people while they’re standing by your doorbell.
Best Seller List of 4K Smart Doorbells:
- 1080p HD wired video doorbell with two-way talk, advanced motion detection, standard 2.4 GHz connectivity and customizable privacy settings
- Get real-time notifications sent straight to your phone. To hear audio notifications in your home, pair with a Ring Chime, compatible Alexa device, or select the Video Doorbell Wired + Chime bundle. Note: the doorbell will not sound your existing chime.
- Advanced motion detection helps you know when someone’s at your front door before they ring your doorbell
- Night vision with sharp contrast ensures you’ll never miss a detail – even in the dark
- Hardwire Video Doorbell Wired using your existing doorbell wiring and the included tool kit for around-the-clock power and peace of mind
- 5MP UHD, 40% Improved From 2k: Adopted 7 pieces of an advanced ultra-clear optical glass lens ensures you get sharp, detailed images even in low-light or bright conditions.
- Triple Motion Detection, No False Alerts: Advanced radar and PIR motion sensors and intelligent human detection can distinguish between near and far objects' track, and judge whether they are people or animals.
- 60 Days Loop Recording: Stored videos directly to your HomeBase with built-in 8G memory and view them anytime anywhere, no monthly fee.
- 180 Days From 1 Charge: Built-in rechargeable battery and 58% consumption reduced low-power wireless connection, ensure 180 days of flawless front door coverage from 1 charge.
- 166° Field of View: You could see a person from head to toe or a package on the ground, there are no blind spots.
- Answer your door no matter where you are from your smartphone with 1080p HD day and infrared night video and two-way audio.
- Experience long-lasting battery life, custom alerts, privacy settings, and more.
- Get alerts when motion is detected or someone presses Video Doorbell. Connect to existing doorbell wiring or pair with a Sync Module (sold separately) to engage live view and two-way audio on demand.
- Choose to save and share clips in the cloud with a free 30-day trial of the Blink Subscription Plan or locally with the Sync Module 2 and USB drive (each sold separately).
- Designed for every home, go wire-free or connect to doorbell wiring to also sound your existing in-home chime. Without wiring, you can use your Blink Mini camera (sold separately) as an indoor plug-in chime.
- The Amcrest Video Doorbell Camera is powered by using your home's existing doorbell wiring (16V-24V) and is compatible with existing traditional mechanical and electronic digital chimes to provide surveillance of all front door activity in high definition 2K (4-Megapixel) resolution. This home security camera features an extra-wide 164° viewing angle allowing you to cover every angle. This doorbell is not battery powered. This product may contain components that are not NDAA compliant.
- Built in microphone and speaker allows for two-way audio and makes it easier to talk to visitors without having to get up and answer the door. The Amcrest Video Doorbell Camera is RTSP stream compatible. Includes 1 x 4-Megapixel Doorbell Camera, 1 x Corner Bracket, 1 x Wedge Bracket & Installation Tools.
- Our WiFi Doorbell Camera works with dualband Wi-Fi Networks (2.4GHz & 5Ghz). Built in night vision allows you to see in the dark, up to 16 feet away. Human Detection that allows the doorbell to only send motion notifications if a human figure is detected. This is useful to avoid false alerts front unwanted objects such as trees, birds, cars, or any other unwanted objects. Human detection can be used without having to enable the motion detection toggle switch.
- Motion Sensor lets you receive motion detection alerts via push notifications and instantly review recorded footage directly from your smartphone using the Amcrest Smart Home app. Securely store your HD footage to the Amcrest Smart Home Cloud or store directly to a class 10 MicroSD card up to 128GB. (MicroSD Card Not Included, Limited compatibility with Amcrest View Pro, Not compatible with Amcrest Cloud).
- At Amcrest, you’ll receive a full 1-year US Warranty and Lifetime technical support provided directly from Amcrest. You will also receive a 1-Year Free SmartHome Cloud Subscription. The Amcrest SmartHome WiFi Video Doorbell Camera works with the Amcrest SmartHome Deterrent Camera (ASIN: B07WK8FH3X), SmartHome PT Camera (ASIN: B0831TQHMP, B0821Q23GF) & SmartHome Outdoor Camera (ASIN: B0835WQHZY, B083TLW9JL). Compatible with any 16V, 30VA Doorbell Transformer ASIN: B001POBN92.
- 【3MP 2K HD】See who's at your door with crystal clear 3MP/2K crisp high resolution video, capturing every detail even when you zoom in. Easily identify faces with no worries of grainy images, and enjoy a 160° diagonal field of view showing you everything you need to see outside your door.Controller Type:Android;Amazon Alexa;Google Assistant.Connectivity protocol:Wi-Fi.Power source type:Corded Electric
- 【Instant Notifications & Modular Chime】Get instant push notifications when the doorbell button is pressed or adjust the volume for select times. The modular Chime design allows you to conveniently place your chime where you want, choose from several different tones, and adjust the volume directly on the device. Never miss another delivery or wake your family with an unexpected guest.
- 【2-Way Audio】Kasa Smart home video doorbell gives you the ability to answer your door even when you're not home. Watch live from anywhere, anytime on your phone or favorite supported device, and carry on a crystal-clear 2-way conversation with a single tap on the Kasa app.
- 【Alexa & Google Assistant Compatible】Fully compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, the KD110 can also play video on your favorite supported display with Amazon Echo Show or Google Chrome Cast. Easily get your home security footage up on a larger display such as your TV.
- 【Night or Day, Rain or Shine】With IP64 weatherproofing, the KD110 is ready for harsh particles and rain. Thanks to the built-in IR sensor, see what's there even in the dark up to 30 ft. away. Whether it's night or day, you'll clearly see the visitors, delivery personnel or possible intruders that come to your home.
- Easy guided install: Neutral wire is required, standard wall plate size. No need to understand complex switch wiring or master vs auxiliary switch configurations; The Kasa app guides you through easy step by step installation. Need 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection
- Control from anywhere: Monitor your light status. Turn electronics on and off from anywhere with your smartphone using the Kasa app, whether you are at home, in the office or on vacation
- Voice control: Enjoy the hands-free convenience of controlling the lights in your home with your voice via Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant; perfect for times when your hands are full or entering a dark room
- Scheduling: Use timer or countdown schedules to set your smart switch to automatically turn on and off while you're home or away. Enable ‘away mode’ to randomly switch on and off to trick potential intruders
- Trusted and reliable: Designed and developed in silicon valley, Kasa is trusted by over 4 million users. UL certified for safety use. Dimensions without panel 4.13*1.71*1.74 in. (105*43.5*44.21 mm)
- Dual Cam Technology. The view offered by ordinary cameras is just too limited to provide complete protection. With a low-angle camera, blindspots are eliminated and your doorstep is in full view.
- Delivery Guard*. Get instantly notified when your package arrives with Delivery Guard. Plus, you'll receive pick-up reminders and alerts if someone approaches your package.
- 3-Second Preview Videos. See what triggered a recording, so you know how visitors approached your door and what they were doing.
- 2K with HDR. 2K HD surveillance ensures visitors can be identified from the details. And thanks to high dynamic range, visitors who are backlit by the sun can be seen in perfect color and clarity.
- No Monthly Fee. Access your recordings anytime on local storage without charge. No subscription fee required.
- Important installation requirements - Wired doorbell and doorbell chime requires existing electrical wiring with voltage between 16V AC and 24V AC and a 10VA .
- See more at your front door - Arlo's security front door camera and door security devices lets you see a person from head to toe or a package on the ground with 180-degree view.
- Get a clearer picture - HD with HDR quality footage from your video door camera ensures you see the details on your devices even in low light or bright conditions.
- Respond quickly - Hear and speak to visitors through your Arlo cameras for home security and apartment security with clear two way audio or respond with pre-recorded quick reply messages.
- Smarter alerts, quicker action - With an Arlo Secure plan, receive smarter notifications for people, vehicles, packages, and animals so you can react quickly, right from your phone’s lock screen.
- Nest Cam has built-in intelligence and can tell the difference between a person, animal, and vehicle and send alerts directly through the Google Home app, no subscription required
- Easily check in from anywhere 24/7 with 1080p HDR video with night vision, and see what you missed with 3 hours of free event video history; add a Nest Aware subscription (sold separately) for up to 60 days of video history
- If your Wi-Fi goes down or there’s a power outage, Nest Cam will store up to an hour of recorded events so you can see what you missed
- Put Nest Cam anywhere, outside or in; it’s battery powered, so you don’t need to set it up near an outlet, and the magnetic mount makes installation effortless
- For continuous power and 24/7 video recording with Nest Aware Plus, add a weatherproof power cable or indoor stand with power cable (both sold separately)
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- None (Director)
- (Playback Language)
Last update on 2023-05-06