Because I’d just relocated, the Thermostat in my new home was an old one that depended on pneumatics. So I decided to give it a little facelift by adding a Smart Thermostat to the mix. So, I chose the Nest Smart Thermostat since I wanted to do as little rewiring as possible, and I wanted a lot of features.
Everything worked well, and I appreciated being able to manage my Thermostat from my phone. Several weeks later, my air conditioning has stopped working, and my Thermostat has shown the phrase “Delayed.” After realizing that this would not do, I went online to find out precisely what was going on. All of the information I gained was compiled into one detailed essay.
The long and the short of it is that you need to purchase an Ohmkat C-Wire converter and connect it to your Nest Thermostat in order to resolve the Delayed Message issue. This will prevent your Thermostat from becoming underpowered, which is the underlying reason for the “Delayed” Message.
Why Does Nest Thermostat Display The Message “Delayed”?
Overall, the “Delayed” notice is triggered by a power shortfall or an underpowered thermostat, to summarize. To be clear, the Nest Thermostat does not rely on electricity to function, contrary to popular belief. A rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery is housed inside the device, which receives its power from the HVAC system.
When the Thermostat is plugged into a power source, some of the power is used to charge the battery. Occasionally, the power drain from the Thermostat surpasses the amount of power taken, resulting in a shortfall in the Thermostat’s performance.
The Thermostat’s numerous functionalities, such as Wi-Fi, motion detection, display, and others, generate an excessive amount of power consumption. Power is distributed to the other systems, such as the furnace, air conditioner, heat pump, and fans, that are linked to the main power supply.
It isn’t easy to maintain power distribution when the power input is minimal. Insufficient power will be provided to the Nest thermostat’s battery and other components of the HVAC system. As a result, the HVAC system will behave sporadically, switching on and off at random intervals and incorrectly controlling temperatures. Damage to the HVAC system as a result of such anomalies may be very expensive to fix.
Use a C-Wire Adapter to fix the Nest Thermostat “Delayed” Message
Using a C-Wire Transformer is a simple and affordable gadget that may be used to deliver steady power to a thermostat system. This device receives its electricity from the mains, which helps to reduce the load on the HVAC system. The installation procedure is really straightforward.
There are two wires that are connected to the transformer. Connections for the wires should be made to the Thermostat’s Power(RH) and C-terminal terminals. Then, using a wall socket, connect the transformer unit to the mains power. Keep in mind that there should be a power outlet nearby where your Thermostat is located.
The only downside of this approach is that the adapter wires may come out of the Thermostat, which would spoil the neat appearance of the device. I’ve used a lot of other C-wire adapters over the years and can recommend Ohmkat’s C-Wire Adapter without reservation.
They provide a lifetime warranty, which means that if it ever stops functioning, they will replace it at no cost to you. I’ve been using it for more than a year and have had no problems with it.
What’s a C-Wire?
The C-Cable, also known as the Common Wire, is often the blue wire that is attached to the ‘C’ port on your Nest thermostat’s control panel. His or her responsibility is to ensure that the Thermostat receives a continuous 24V input regardless of whether or not the HVAC system is turned on.
In this case, the C-wire connects the C-terminal of the HVAC control panel to the C-terminal of the Thermostat. I didn’t utilize a C-Wire when I installed my Nest Thermostat because I didn’t want to have to go through a lot of rewiring when I was installing my Nest Thermostat.
What happens when you do not have a C-Wire?
Unless your Thermostat is equipped with a C-Wire, it may struggle to maintain a consistent power supply, impairing its most fundamental functions. Furthermore, it has the ability to impair the operation of the HVAC system as well as cause harm to its numerous components. In the absence of a C-Wire, there are many difficulties that must be addressed:
Reduced Battery Life
The internal battery may be harmed if the charging signal is erratic since Lithium-Ion batteries are susceptible to degradation. However, although replacing the battery is a more cost-effective approach, these batteries can cause major environmental damage and pose a danger to human safety.
Motion Sensing Disabled
Nest thermostats are equipped with a function that activates the HVAC system when it detects that someone is passing by the Thermostat. Whenever the battery level falls below a certain threshold, this function is automatically turned off.
Disconnecting from Wi-Fi
Additionally, insufficient power to the battery causes frequent disconnections from the Thermostat’s Wi-Fi, preventing it from functioning remotely.
Damage to the HVAC system caused by irregular power cycling
As soon as the HVAC system is turned off, the Thermostat sends a signal to the control panel, instructing it to start the battery charging process. Although this signal is not harmful to most systems, some are very sensitive to it and switch on at random as a result.
In fact, your fans will not function properly. The temperature in your home will fluctuate since your HVAC system won’t be able to convert from heating to cooling. Because of this, your Thermostat may make noise and perhaps shorten its life.
Some HVAC systems, particularly those with older components and connections, aren’t meant to function properly when connected through a C-Wire, despite the fact that the Nest Thermostat is one of the Best Smart Thermostats Without a C-Wire.
As much as I’d wanted to avoid knowing too much about thermostat wiring initially, to the point where I purchased a Smart Thermostat, I eventually changed my mind and performed some study. To demystify thermostat wiring colors, I compiled what I’d learned into a detailed post, which you may see here.
Best Seller List of Nest Thermostats:
- No more programming: With Auto-Schedule, the Google Nest Learning Thermostat learns from you and programs itself.
- Home/Away Assist: don't heat or cool an empty home. Home/Away Assist adjusts the temperature after you leave.
- Remote control: Control your thermostat from anywhere using the Nest app.
- Know more, save more Check your Energy History to see how much energy you use and why.
- Look for the Leaf: The Nest Leaf appears when you choose a temperature that saves energy.
- ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostat for home that helps you save energy and stay comfortable
- The Nest Thermostat is designed to work without a C wire in most homes, but for some systems, including heating only, cooling only, zone controlled, and heat pump systems, you’ll need a C wire or other compatible power accessory
- Nest Thermostat turns itself down when you leave, so you don’t waste energy heating or cooling an empty home
- Programmable thermostat that lets you create an energy efficient schedule in the Google Home app on your Android or iPhone
- Remote control lets family members change the thermostat temperature from anywhere on a phone, laptop, or tablet
- Works with compatible Nest thermostats ; the sensor tells the thermostat what the temperature is in the room where it’s placed and the thermostat uses that reading to control when the system turns on or off to keep that room the temperature you like
- Put different temperature sensors in different rooms, like the baby’s room or living room
- Control your Nest sensor in the Nest app; set a schedule and choose which room to prioritize when 
- Compatible with the Nest Learning Thermostat and the Nest Thermostat E 
- The Nest Temperature Sensor is easy to set up; just hang it on the wall or place it on a shelf
- This specific product is intended for Professional Installers only and not to be sold direct to consumers. Please see other consumer facing listing for more color options
- 3x Google Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Gen Stainless Steel
- It has new rings and a big, sharp display
- Nest shows you how much energy you use every day in Energy History and every month in your Home Report
- IN THE BOX: Base - Trim Kit - Labels Nest Screwdriver
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: 3x Google Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Gen Stainless Steel
- This Certified Refurbished product is manufacturer refurbished, shows limited or no wear, and includes all original accessories plus a 90-day limited hardware warranty.
- Finish: White
- Manufactured By: Nest
- Diameter: 3.3 in.
- Auto-Schedule: No more confusing programming. It learns the temperatures you like and programs itself. | Wi-Fi Thermostat: Connect the Nest Thermostat to Wi-Fi to change the temperature from your phone, tablet or laptop. | Energy Saving: You’ll see the Nest Leaf when you choose a temperature that saves energy. It guides you in the right direction.
- Smart Thermostat: Early-On Nest learns how your home warms up and keeps an eye on the weather to get you the temperature you want when you want it. | Home/Away Assist: The Nest Thermostat automatically turns itself down when you’re away to avoid heating or cooling an empty home. Auto-Schedule: Nest learns the temperatures you like and programs itself in about a week.
- With Energy History, just check your phone to see how much energy you used and why, or use Quick View on the thermostat’s display to reach Energy History, settings, or your schedule | It’s easy to install your thermostat, typically in 30 minutes or less, with everything you need included in the box; compatible with 95% of heating and cooling systems
- The Included Google Nest Temperature Sensor tells the thermostat what the temperature is in the room where it’s placed. The thermostat uses that reading to control when the system turns on or off to keep that room the temperature you like. It also allows you to put different temperature sensors in different rooms. Control your Nest sensor in the Nest app; set a schedule and choose which room to prioritize when. Add up to 6 sensors for each compatible Nest thermostat in your home.
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Google Nest Learning Smart Thermostat - 3rd Generation - Stainless Steel T3007ES | Google Nest Temperature Sensor T5000SF | Base | elago Wall Plate Upgraded Wall Mount Cover Designed for Google Nest Learning Thermostat - Matte White
You May Also Like…
- The Best Mini Projector for iPhone/iPad
- 5 Best Motorized Projector Screens
- How to Install Ring Doorbell Without Existing Doorbell
- The 4 Best Mini Projector for MacBook Air
- The 3 Best Power Over Ethernet (PoE) Doorbells
Last update on 2022-10-03