The white blackout cloth is your best pick if you’re looking for the best projection screen fabric. Even while grey material adds contrast, whiteness ensures image authenticity and colour correctness. The blackout part of the screen prevents light from escaping, ensuring image brightness.
For the best results, the material should be stretched evenly in all four directions. They should be able to support a tensioned hanging mount as well. Many of these textiles and screens, thankfully, are reasonably priced.
Do you want to know what is the best projector screen material fabric? Continue reading to learn more.
The 9 Best Material for Projector Screen:
1. Elite Screens Designer Cut Series, 135-inch 16:9 (RECOMMENDED)
Elite Screens Designer Cut Series is unique in that it is elite in terms of product features and quality, not only in terms of branding. It measures 72 inches by 125 inches when fully built. It’s designed for videos in HD format with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
- 135-inch Diagonal, 68. 0-inch H x 120. 0-inch W Viewing Size, 16: 9 HD Format Aspect Ratio, Overall Assembled Size: 68. 0-inch H x 120. 0-inch W. (***Not Compatible with Short Throw and Ultra-Short Throw Projector)
- Screen Material: CineGrey 3D, Angular-Reflective Material with Ambient Light Rejecting Technology Features a 90° Viewing Angle with 1. 2 Gain. ISF, for Accurate Color and Range, 8K - 4K Ultra HD & Active 3D Ready and Polarized for Passive 3D. GREENGUARD and GREENGUARD GOLD UL 2818, for Safety Indoor Emissions free
- This Raw, Pre-Cut Cloth Projector Screen Material is Perfect for Custom, Home Theater, and Budget-Friendly Applications. The Versatile Do-it-yourself Ambient Light Rejecting Projection Screen Material Comes Shipped in a Roll, Standard to Ensure a Wrinkle-Free Surface.
- The Designer Cut Series is Designed to be a Versatile Option for the Inspired Consumer. Using the Same High-End, Industry Grade Projection Materials from Elite Screens Products, the Designer Cut Series Allows Consumers to Apply the Projection Screen to be Displayed Anywhere.
- 2-Year / 3-Year ENR-G, Manufactures by Elite Screens' an ISO9001 manufacturer since 2004 and Lifetime Tech Support by Email, Web Chat or Toll Free Phone Call by Elite's Professional Service Team.
The Elite Screens Designer Cut Series item stands out among the competition. Why? It makes use of CineWhite material, which has a 1.1 gain. This is a good thing because white faithfully transmit what’s being presented without color shifts. The material is also brightening because it is reflecting.
The benefit is minor, but it is worthwhile. In addition, the projector screen is totally black-backed. This means that, similar to blackout blinds, and the screen will not let light escape, preventing the image from becoming weak or faded due to passing light.
- Color: matte white
- Angle of view: 160°
- The length is 135 inches.
- Material type: CineWhite
- The warranty is for two years.
- It will set you back about $100.
- It’s 72″ x 124″ in size.
- Cutting is required on the raw screen material.
- For projections with a dark background, use a blackout screen.
- Screen material that is both tough and long-lasting.
- To ensure consistent quality across the board, all of our products are manufactured in the United States.
- CineWhite or ZRM-135HW-CINEWHITE material is used specifically for this project.
- It supports projector resolutions ranging from FHD to UHD 4K and even 8K, albeit these are uncommon.
Bottom Line: Matte White Projector Screen Material
2. Yescom DIY Projection Screen Material, 177″ 16:9
Yescom 177″ 16:9 DIY is a huge screen. You have a total of 17634 inches (449 centimeters) to work. It’s a lot bigger than the Elite Screens CineWhite material described above.
- [Large Projector Screen]: 16:9 Front Projection Screen Material features 177" diagonal size for providing a large viewing area of 153 15/16" x 86 5/8" with 160 degrees wide viewing angle, ideal for projecting colorful images and videos clearly and enhancing your visual enjoyment. A simple and affordable projector screen to build a home theater by yourself.
- [Matte White Screen]: Made of high-strength PVC coated textile, the screen material provides durability and flexibility, excellent for long-time use; matte white surface for diffusing projected light uniformly and protecting eyes; standard black back for avoiding light penetration and improving light focusing
- [Cuttable & Customizable]: One-piece customized screen material can be cut into the desired size to fit your screen frame, suitable for DIY your projector screen to meet different projection requirements. Could use a wooden fixed frame projection screen, stretched and tightened uniformly on all sides, and can also fit on glass or other smooth and flat surface use.
- [Easy to Storage]: Rollable design for easy storage, you can roll it up conveniently when you don't use it; lightweight for portability, perfect for carrying to different places and using whenever you need
- [Wide Application]: Widely applied for home theater, video or sports game projection, office, school education, conference room, presentation, public display, parties, weddings, backyard movie cinema and more.
The Yescom is perfect for outdoor use, such as movie evenings in your backyard. It can, of course, be utilized for interior projector screens, such as those seen in conference rooms and living rooms. The normal black background of the screen material prevents light penetration.
The resulting projected image isn’t as bright as it is when light escapes through the material. You get a vast viewing area thanks to the broad viewing angle of 160 degrees, which is ideal for the most dramatic of widescreen movies out there, full of exquisite details.
- There is a gain of 1.1.
- Angle of view: 160°
- It features a 16:9 aspect ratio.
- It is suitable for use with front projection systems.
- It measures 17634” (449 cm) across the diagonal.
- It will set you back approximately $80.
- The high-strength textile screen material is coated with PVC.
- The screen measures 865.8” by 154′′ (220 cm x 391 cm) in size.
- The material is so resistant to the elements that it may be used outside.
- For the greatest results, utilize a flat matte white viewing surface that evenly diffuses projected light.
Bottom Line: Large and Easily Modified White Screen
3. Taotaole Projector Blackout Cloth, 16:9, 100″
Taotaole Blackout Cloth is a blackout-featured 100-inch DIY portable projector screen. It’s designed to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio, has completed edges and grommets, and is white in color.
- Blackout Cloth with Reinforced Heavy Duty Border w/Grommets Installed
- Front-Projection, Matte White, Gain: 1.0, Best Indoors
- 70% Polyester/30% Cotton with Rubber Coating
- 4.06x7.27 Ft, Viewable Dimensions: 100 in Diag, 22 Grommets
- Ships Folded
Yes, Taotaole isn’t as well-known as Elite Screens, but it gets the job done, and we think it’s good enough to make this list of the top 9 screen materials for 2023. According to the number of user ratings, not many people have used it, but those who have agreed that it is excellent.
It measures 48.72 inches by 87.24 inches or 4.06 feet by 7.27 feet. As a result, it contains far less material than Yescom or Elite Screens, yet it is still a decent value for DIY screen manufacturers. The low price is due to the fact that it has a 1.0 gain rather than a 1.1 benefit.
- The cloth blocks out the light.
- It has a gain of 1.0.
- The viewing angle is 160 degrees.
- It works well inside.
- It has a rubberized finish.
- Instead of back projection, this is used for front projection.
- It’s made up of 30% cotton and 70% polyester.
- The border is reinforced, and grommets are added.
- Affordably priced at around $50 for 100 inches and readily available for around $70 (120 inches).
- It measures 48.72 inches by 87.24 inches or 4.06 feet by 7.27 feet.
- It measures 48.72 inches by 87.24 inches or 4.06 feet by 7.27 feet.
- This one has a diagonal of 100 inches, while another has a diagonal of 120 inches.
Bottom Line: Fantastic Size and Image Quality for the Price
4. Carl’s Blackout Cloth, 16:9 128″
Carl’s Blackout Cloth has the highest rating of any of the screen textiles discussed thus far, owing to the fact that few individuals have complained about it, lowering its rating. Even though it only has 1.0 gain, compared to its 1.1 gain siblings, it provides a more consistent quality.
Other textiles may have issues about quality control or faults, but you get precisely what you pay for with Carl’s Blackout Cloth. This is a low-cost but high-quality material. It’s one of the most cost-effective pieces of clothing available.
Carl’s Place Store isn’t a household name, but it nevertheless gets excellent marks for material longevity, quality, size, and price. As a result, it’s a popular choice for screen builders. Yescom and Elite Screens both have more inches, but Carl’s is easier to handle in terms of inches per inch.
- The gain is 1.0.
- Cloth that is completely blackout.
- The angle of vision is 180°.
- The aspect ratio is 16:9.
- It’s 66 by 110 inches in size.
- It’ll set you back around $60 (but other places have it for $30).
- Matte white is the color of the screen material.
- Without sacrificing quality, this is a budget-friendly solution.
- It’ll arrive folded in a box, just like Taotaole.
- It has a lot of positive feedback from Amazon.com users.
- The image is clear from many angles, allowing you to see it in different manners.
Bottom Line: It is not Over-Hyped and Delivers on Its Durability Promises.
5. Yandood Projector Screen Material Fabric, 130″ 16:9
Yandood Projector Screen Material Fabric is constructed of a matte white polymer that ensures color saturation and strong contrast in your image. It functions best in a controlled ambient light environment. It works best in low-light environments.
- This is a new type of multi-layer composite EPPE ploymer projection screen fabric, which is different from conventional PVC, glass fiber, white plastic and canvas. The material is environmentally friendly and meet EU REACH testing standards
- Diffuse reflective screen material. The delicate matte surface can reflect light in all directions, and you can see beautiful pictures above 160 degrees angle.
- High contrast and color saturation in controlled ambient light environment. Gain 1.0 perfectly restores color, resolution reaches 125 line pairs / mm, suitable for use in dark light environment, if you have independent viewing space with controllable light, this is your best choice
- Three layers of material composite, strong and durable, thickness 0.25mm (three A4 printing paper thickness), black back layer prevents light from penetrating and forming reflection interference. The size 70 * 118 inch is suitable for DIY production of 16: 9 ratio, the specifications max 130 inch diagonal, wooden fixed frame projection screen, stretched and tightened uniformly on all sides, and can also fit on glass or other smooth and flat surface Use.
- Note: This material cannot be folded. It is delivered with a 74inch long reel. It is not transparent and is not suitable for reel projection screen applications. It is not suitable for rear projection, side projection.
EPPE polymer material is used to make this blackout cloth. Unlike canvas, white plastic, glass fiber, or PVC, this is not a traditional material. It makes the screen material more environmentally friendly and meets REACH testing requirements in the EU. Above 160°, you can view magnificent images on this screen.
In addition, the polymer substance provides a superior viewing experience. It recovers color with its 1.0 gain and has a resolution of 125 line pairs per millimeter. It ensures color integrity because it is white. Other colors impact the image’s color fidelity, while grey is ideal for good visibility.
- The diagonal is 130 inches.
- The viewing angle is 160 degrees.
- Front projection is what this is for.
- The size of the painting is 70 inches by 118 inches.
- The white one will set you back around $80.
- Designed for photos with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
- EPPE polymer material is used.
- Works with projectors with a resolution of 4K Ultra HD.
- It’s a delicate matte-surfaced light-diffusing screen material.
- The white surface is ideal for image authenticity, especially when it comes to accuracy color.
Bottom Line: Quality Fabric Made of EPPE Polymer Material.
6. Elite Screens Manual B 100-INCH Manual Pull Down Projector Screen
Elite Screens Manual B Projector Screen from Elite Screens is a 100-inch projector screen material for manual pull-down projector screens. Manual B has the same rating as Carl’s Blackout Cloth, but it is rated higher by more people. As a result, it is superior.
- SIZE: 100-INCH Diag. 16:9 Aspect Ratio. View Size 49.2" H X 87.4" W. Overall Size 65.7" H X 94.6" W White Case.
- SCREEN MATERIAL: MaxWhite 2~ 8K / 4K Ultra Hd and Active 3D Ready Front Projection Screen Material. Featuring a 180° Viewing Angle and 1.1 Gain. Greenguard and Greenguard Gold Certified. Compatible with Standard Uhd/Hd Projectors
- FEATURES: 2-inch Interval Auto-Lock Mechanism that allow for Various Height Settings
- Fast & Easy Installation. Optional 6" and 12" L Brackets Available
- [US Based Company Warranty] 2-Year/3-Year ENR-G Manufacturer's Warranty by Elite Screens if purchased NEW, an ISO9001 manufacturer since 2004 and Lifetime Tech Support by Email or Phone Call by Elite Screens' Professional Service Team.
In terms of technical terms, this is a fully formed screen rather than screen material. It has a matte white textured surface and can handle aspect ratios of 1:1, 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10. When you let go of the handle, the cloth slowly retracts back into the housing.
The slow retraction mechanism prevents the screen from wearing out quickly. This fabric, unlike others, has an auto-lock feature for multiple height settings. Ultra HD, HD, HDR, 4K, 8K, and 3D are all supported.
- Gain is nil.
- It’s cost around $70.
- The viewing angle is 160 degrees.
- Ready for 4K Ultra HD and HDR.
- The diagonal should be between 100 and 150 inches.
- The dimensions are 49 inches by 87 inches.
- Screen with a black back and a border.
- It’s compatible with active 3D projectors.
- Auto-locking mechanism and adjustable height settings.
- Steel casing with a black or white finish is available.
- D-rings on the end caps provide alternatives for suspended ceiling installations.
- For convenient operation, a screen lanyard is included, allowing you to execute screen dropdowns.
Bottom Line: Professional-Grade Screen Material.
7. Pyle Portable Projector Screen (PRJTP46)
Pyle Portable Projector Screen is another ready-to-assemble projector screen that employs high-quality projection screen material. It’s a mobile projection screen stand that’s primarily robust, portable, and light.
- Portable & mobile projection: The projection screen stand is lightweight and designed for quick setup, making it perfect for travel. The retractable design makes it convenient for presentations on the go.
- Hassle free setup: the digital projection screen is designed for simple setup and universal projection and portability. Perfect for the home, office or classroom.
- Rugged design: the light projector screen is designed to be heavy duty and sturdy and stain resistant and made of flame retardant fabric.
- First rate viewing: the white projection screen is made of a premium matte fabric creating an optimal viewing surface. Also features a black masking border for increased image focus and alignment.
- Versatile set up: the video projector screen was designed to stand on any flat floor surface or table, creating a myriad of options for placement. Great for outdoor movies, indoor viewing parties, as well as presentations in the classroom and office.
It’s a 40-inch display, which is nearly half the size of a standard super-large display. Some may see this as a disadvantage. However, it can be advantageous in some situations. It’s ideal, for example, if you need a decent-sized screen to utilize with your mobile projector.
Furthermore, the 40-inch Pyle is almost the same size as a medium-sized HDTV or an average-sized CRT TV, despite its diminutive size when compared to the average screen (particularly when compared to screen material that is 100 inches in diagonal size)
- Image with good contrast.
- The design is tough.
- Aspect ratio of 4:3 is a ratio of four to three.
- Around $40 in price.
- Angle of view: 160°
- It’s a good deal.
- White matte screen with a size of 40 inches.
- Screen surface is matte white.
- Setup that is both simple and adaptable.
- Mobile screen stand that fits in a carry-on bag.
- As a completely portable screen, it’s ready to go.
- On-the-go viewing will always be of the highest quality.
- It can be used in the classroom, at home, or in the office.
- Can be used for the home, classroom, or office.
Bottom Line: Mobile Lightweight Projector You Can Carry Anywhere.
8. Amazon Basics Pull Down Projector Screen, 16:9 80 Inch
Carl’s Blackout Cloth and the Elite Screens Manual B Projector Screen and DIY Projector Screen Material have the same rating as the Amazon Basics 16:9 Pull Down Projector Screen. Because Elite Screens still has the most ratings, Amazon Basics is likely to come in second.
- 80 inch, 16:9 pull-down projector screen ideal for indoor movies, video games, work presentations, promotional content, and more
- Easily mount to the wall or suspend from the ceiling with provided hardware
- Auto-locking mechanism allows you to adjust screen height; built-in pull-down lanyard
- Convenient, space-saving design that can be retracted and hidden from view when not in use
- Crisp, clear picture quality for 4K Ultra HD, Active 3D, and HDR-ready video; 180 degree viewing angle
Whether you’re showcasing job presentations and promotional content or playing video games, the 80-inch pull-down or pull-down projector screen may be used for work or play. It’s great for watching movies and TV shows.
This projector screen material offers 1.2 gain, as predicted from Amazon.com. Its screen material diffuses light better than any of the other fabrics on this list. With the provided hardware, it may be mounted on the wall or suspended from the ceiling as a pull-down blind.
- Gain of 2 points
- Aspect ratio of 16:9
- The viewing angle is 180 degrees.
- Design that takes up less space.
- Indoors, it’s ideal.
- The screen for the projector is 80 inches.
- Long-lasting structure.
- It can be mounted on the ceiling or the wall.
- The fabric has a lanyard that may be pulled down.
- Like Pyle, it has an auto-locking mechanism.
- Visual clarity is crisp and clear for HDR-ready content, Active 3D, or 4K Ultra HD HD.
Bottom Line: An 80-Inch Pull-Down Projector Screen.
9. 100BTF Projector Screen With Stand
100BTF Projector Screen with Stand is a 135-inch premium projector screen with three layers of PVC fabric. For added convenience, the device is anti-crease and foldable, allowing it to be used inside and out.
Its projection display is capable of more than only 720p HD or 1080p FHD resolutions. It also supports 4K Ultra HD, 3D “magic screen” setups, a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio, and a 160° viewing angle, among other features. To ensure front projection, it has a typical blacked-out screen.
Furthermore, this flexible projector performs admirably in both indoor ambient light and outside roughness and sunshine. Its most significant feature is that it also can be folded without becoming creased, which could damage your watching experience by warping the projection.
- There is one gain.
- Simple setup.
- The viewing angle is 160 degrees.
- Three layers of PVC were used to create this product.
- The diagonal measurement is 135 inches.
- The projection is in super high definition.
- 6 inches by 123.2 inches.
- Can be utilized both inside and outside.
- Foldable projector screen that is wrinkle-free.
- A lightweight, long-lasting stand is included.
- The screen can be raised to connect to detachable legs.
- 4 ground stakes, 2 rigging ropes, 2 support rings, and 1 carrying bag are included.
Bottom Line: Wrinkle-Free and Foldable Projector Screen.
- Projector with screen fabrics Elite Screens Designer Cut Series, which fabric type is CineWhite tensioned matte white with the size of 72 inches by 124 inches with 1.1 gain and the viewing angle is 1.1 gain 160°.
- Projector with screen fabrics Yescom 177″ 16:9 DIY Projection Screen Material which fabric type is Matte White PVC Coated 154″x86″ with the size of 86⅝ inches by 154 inches with 1.1 gain, and the viewing angle is 160°.
- Projector with screen fabrics Taotaole Blackout Cloth, 16:9, 100 Inches DIY Portable Projector Screenwhich fabric type is White-colored blackout cloth with reinforced border and grommets installed with the size of 48.72 inches by 87.24 inches with 1.0 gain and viewing angle is 160°.
- Projector with screen fabrics Carl’s Blackout Cloth, DIY Projector Screen Material which fabric type is Matte white blackout cloth and screen material with the size of 66 inches by 110 inches with 1.0 gain and viewing angle is 180°.
- Projector with screen fabrics Yandood Projector Screen Material Fabric which fabric type is Matte white blackout cloth with polymer material with the size of 70 inches by 118 inches with 1.0 gain and viewing angle is 160°.
- Projector with screen fabrics Elite Screens Manual B Projector Screen which fabric type is 100-inch matte white manual pull-down projector screen with the size of 49 inches by 87 inches with 1.0 gain and a viewing angle is 160°.
- Projector with screen fabrics Pyle Portable Projector Screen PRJTP46, which fabric type is MaxWhite material lightweight carry-on mobile screen stand with the size of 19.6 inches by 37.5 inches with 1.1 gain and viewing angle is 160°.
- Projector with screen fabrics Amazon Basics 16:9 Pull Down Projector Screen which fabric type is Matt white 80-inch, 16:9 pull-down projector screen with the size of 49.5 by 76.4 inches with 1.2 gain and viewing angle is 180°.
- Projector with screen fabrics 100BTF Projector Screen with Stand, which fabric type is 3-layer PVC anti-crease foldable projector screen withstand the size of 71.6 inches by 123.2 inches with 1.1 gain and viewing angle is 160°.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
The following are some of the most frequently asked questions about projector screen fabrics.
1. What is the finest screen material for a projector?
The finest material for a do-it-yourself projector screen is definitely white blackout fabric. Why? For one thing, it’s the same material used in factory-made displays. For another point, it’s the most popular material because of its low cost.
The blackout portion ensures that the projection light reaches your eyes completely without wasting any of it. Although the screen isn’t as reflective as a mirror, most matte white surfaces don’t require it.
Regardless, for DIY or manufactured projector screen materials, this is the de-facto standard. If your material isn’t reflective, you can use reflective paint to improve light reflection and transmission on the screen.
2. What materials can I use to make a projection screen?
One of the most straightforward DIY projector screen options is a blank wall. Due to their nature of being built first for building integrity and then for projection use, walls tend to deprive your projector image of its brightness and clarity.
A bedsheet, shades, blackout cloth, wrapping paper, picture backdrop, or projector screen painted on any of the above-described surfaces can also be used. Plastic, metal, fiberglass, polymer, polyester, and PVC are among the materials available for projector textiles.
3. Is blackout cloth good for projector screens?
Is blackout fabric suitable for use as a screen for a projector?
For building your own projector screen, blackout cloth is the preferred DIY fabric. While many screen fabrics have a PVC coating or are made of polymer, blackout cloth is as basic as white for projections.
The material is noted for its sturdiness, as well as its affordability. Because of the blackout substance, it performs even better than painting canvas when used on fixed frames. Its ability to interact with light surpasses the canvas’s, which is primarily used for oil paintings.
A rough wall, a colorful bed sheet, and glossy blinds cannot compete with the perfect balance of smoothness and reflection of a blackout cloth setup.
4. Is polyester suitable for use as a projector screen?
Spandex fabric, made of polyester, is another excellent material for DIY projector screens that is preferable to your bed sheet or drawn blinds. Mind you, polyester alone can work. The fabric’s extra smoothness comes from a blend of 80 percent polyester (or nylon) and 20 percent spandex.
To be more specific, the spandex aids in stretching the fabric to eliminate wrinkles. Otherwise, all you have to do is make sure your polyester is fully ironed out or crease-free on your DIY screen’s permanent frame or mounting structure.
Elite Screens Designer Cut Series is the best projection screen performance among the 9 textiles and 8 ready-made screens offered here.
Amazon Basics 16:9 Pull Down Projector Screen, the Carl’s Blackout Cloth, and the Manual Elite Screens B 100-INCH Manual Pull Down Projector Screen are among the others. Among the three, only Carl’s has a projector screen cloth. In addition, Amazon Basics has the largest screen gain of 1.2.
Aside from the items on the list, white blackout cloth is the best fabric for a DIY projector screen. You can get this information at a reasonable charge. You can also paint this material to increase its gain or reflectivity.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Last update on 2023-01-25