Smart lights that might revolutionize the way people live were announced in 2012 by LIFX (pronounced Life – X). When they first emerged at the dawn of the smart home age,’ LED lights were a fun and easy way to enhance your home’s aesthetics and utility.
They competed with the first incarnation of Philips Hue, which was introduced in the same year, in terms of both quality and price. There are a variety of sizes and forms to choose from when it comes to LIFX bulbs for your home’s interior and exterior lighting.
The LIFX Color A19 and Flame Color are two smart bulbs that can help you alter the atmosphere and give vivid color to any area in your house. Also available are LIFX Nightvision BR30 bulbs, which enhance the brightness of surveillance cameras you may have installed around your house.
LIFX’s color gamut is unrivaled in its pricing range, leading many consumers to pick them over the competition. Nevertheless, what kind of WiFi do they have? In the following part, we’ll go into more detail, but the essence is that.
LIFX lights are only compatible with 2.4 GHz networks; they do not support 5 GHz. However, as 2.4 GHz is generally more dependable, this may potentially be a positive thing. When 5 GHz is all that can be used, there are various solutions.
- Works with Amazon Alexa to support dimming, shades of white, and color settings through voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- 16 million colors and warm to cool whites. LED life-span - 22.8 years (based on 3hrs/day)
- Easy to set up, built in wifi - no hub required
- Bright - equivalent to 75W bulb. Beam Angle: 135 degrees.Voltage Range:AC 100-240V 50/60 Hz
- Works with Alexa, Apple HomeKit and Google Assistant.Temperature:2500K to 9000K.Wi-Fi Router Requirement:802.11b,g,n standards compliant
How is LIFX Bulbs Controlled?
To interact with each other, LIFX lights utilize WiFi instead of Zigbee. Those who choose Wi-Fi-enabled smart lights over Zigbee-enabled smart bulbs frequently see this as a major selling advantage.
As these lights function via your internet router and can be connected and utilized with popular smart home hubs, such as Amazon Echo, Samsung SmartThings, and Google Home, WiFi simplifies the operation of the contemporary smart home. Finally, they’ve added support for Apple’s HomeKit, making it compatible with iPhones.
The LIFX app may also be used to control LIFX smart lights. Using the app, you can switch the lights on and off, dim them, and change their color:
In addition, the LIFX switch is also available. This is an in-wall switch that can be used to control both smart and non-smart lights. Because this is an in-wall switch, it should only be installed by an electrician trained in this kind of installation.
LIFX switches allow you to control a variety of functions, including color-changing and dimming. With that in mind, how may LIFX items be connected?
Can LIFX Connect To 5 GHz WiFi?
LIFX lights do not support the 5 GHz spectrum of WiFi since they operate on the 2.4 GHz range. Because the 5 GHz spectrum is newer, it’s not clear why this lack of compatibility exists.
Based on their website, it seems that they have no plans to add support for the 5 GHz band shortly (if ever). They even give specific instructions on making sure you’re connecting to the 2.4 GHz band your WiFi router broadcasts.
Error errors and troubleshooting are likely to greet your efforts to connect to the 5 GHz band for your WiFi projects, or the LIFX bulb won’t be able to view the network.
However, if your smartphone is linked to the 5 GHz band for WiFi in your house, you should be able to control your lights through the app without any issues.” Because your phone is just communicating with your home network and not your LIFX lights, utilizing a 5 GHz connectivity to administer applications is perfectly acceptable.
Since your phone may use 5 GHz to communicate with the LIFX app, the lights themselves can only communicate at 2.4 GHz.
Would 5 GHz WiFi Help Smart Bulbs? Or is 2.4 GHz better?
What’s the answer to that question? There’s no certainty that 5 GHz WiFi will be beneficial, but it’s possible.
To achieve quicker speeds, the 5 GHz WiFi band employs shorter radio waves, which is faster. There’s a downside to all of this, though. It doesn’t always have the best range. Only over short distances, and particularly near the router, can it provide information at rapid speed. When you need your signal to reach regions of your house that aren’t near the router, this might be extremely challenging.
Signals can’t penetrate walls and doors because of the reduced range. You’ll probably want your lights to be able to communicate with other lights in other rooms. If you have smart lights in many rooms of your house, this is particularly true.
Voice commands may be used, for example, if you want to dim the lights on the first level of your house. Connection and functioning may be lost if walls, floors, and other impediments are between light fixtures.
In contrast, the WiFi band’s regular 2.4 GHz frequency can manage such a challenge. There are no walls or other barriers that may stop the signal from reaching its intended destination.
Even while the 5 GHz is quicker in general, it’s unlikely to make much difference since smart lights execute a very simple task: turn on, off, dim, and change color. If you don’t need to upload or download video, a faster internet connection isn’t going to make much of a difference, if at all.
With just minimal functions being performed by the lights, the range advantages of Wi-lower-speed Fi’s 2.4-GHz band much exceed any speed disadvantages.
One of the only benefits of running LIFX or any other smart bulbs over the 5 GHz bandwidth would be to prevent congestion. With so many devices sharing the 2.4 GHz WiFi bandwidth, there is a potential for congestion on the network.
If you have a few smart bulbs, the additional network strain won’t even be noticeable—unless you have 100 of them!
Is It Possible To Connect LIFX To 5Ghz WiFi?
Are LIFX items inaccessible if you can only connect to a 5 GHz WiFi network? You may be able to utilize LIFX on this 5 GHz network after all, but it’ll be more difficult. The first option is to purchase a dual-band WiFi extender. These devices can connect to your 5 GHz network, and they then broadcast a new WiFi network – which will be both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
To put it another way, your WiFi extender will generate its own Enabled devices signal, including with a network infrastructure name, after you’ve installed it. Then you’ll be able to choose between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi. The network’s name will generally specify the different bands.
Your dual-band WiFi extender will most likely have two networks: “MySpace101 2GEXT” and “MySpace1015G 5GEXT,” for example.
Even when the underlying WiFi network is only operating at 5 GHz, you should be capable of connecting your LIFX lights to the 2.4 GHz signal and utilizing your LIFX lighting from there.
This approach isn’t perfect, but it may probably depend on your Yoo signal and the extension you use (for example, make sure you select a dual-band extender!).
Another option is to buy a mobile hotspot, which publishes a WiFi network in your house using a SIM card and connection data from your phone. In most cases, you may connect your LIFX lights to this WiFi network using 2.4 GHz.
More and more individuals would like to stay ahead of the better speeds claimed in the 5 GHz range. As well as operating their smart homes, they wish to utilize this for newer gadgets like smartphones.
Compared to the 2.4 GHz range, the 5 GHz spectrum is a relatively new technology. Most makers of Wi-Fi-enabled smart home lights don’t bother to make their equipment 5 GHz-compliant since it’s too expensive. LIFX is a good example of this kind of technology.
As a result, although LIFX smart lights may be connected over WiFi, they do not support the 5GHz frequency. However, if you use a WiFi extension, this problem may be avoided.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List of Smart Bulbs:
- Multicolor & Auto White: Dimmable 16 million colors and warm to cool whites(2500K-6500K). Set your bulb to automatically adjust its color temperature to match natural light patterns from dawn to dusk. Explore endless lighting possibilities to create your favorite light effects for everything from a dinner party to a late-night study session. Great for holiday decorations.Voice Control: Get hands-free control of your lights with your voice via Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant. Perfect for times when your hands are full or entering a dark room.
- Drive down energy consumption without losing quality (60 W equivalent). Use timer or schedules to set your lights to automatically turn on and off whenever you want, such as waking up with a soft glow in the morning with sunrise offset.Trusted & Reliable: Kasa is trusted by over 6 Million users. UL certified for safety use. 2-year warranty. Require 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network connection. Operating Humidity 10%~90%RH, Non-condensing
- Remote Control: Control your smart light bulb from anywhere with your smartphone using the free Kasa smart app (iOS, Android); Dim, turn on or off or change the colors of your light bulb remotely at your fingertips.Energy Monitoring & Scheduling: Monitor real-time energy usage. Wifi Protocol IEEE 802.11b/g/n
- SMART UPGRADE FOR CONVENIENCE AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY : Control your Amazon Basics smart light bulbs using your voice or via the Alexa app, no more turning on/off each individual light switch. Create custom routines to schedule your lights automatically at sunset and sunrise and save energy. You can change colors of your lights for a movie night with family or friends. Works Exclusively with Alexa. Not compatible with Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, Smart Things.
- SIMPLE TO SET UP WITH ALEXA: Screw in the light bulb, open the Alexa app, and get started in minutes as you get notified “ First light bulb found”. Otherwise, you can add the smart bulb directly from Alexa app. No hubs or 3rd party apps or skills required. For zero touch set up experience, check “Link device to your Amazon account to simplify setup” during checkout and get started with your smart bulb in no time. Note: Amazon Basics smart light bulbs work exclusively with Alexa to be set up with 2.4GHz Wi-Fi only.
- TRANSFORM YOUR SPACE WITH BRILLIANT COLORS: Create your perfect mood by choosing from 16 preset color selections and brightness levels from 5% to 100%. Have best moments during holiday festivities or gaming with friends or movie nights with family with different colors. Just say “Alexa, set the hall lights to purple”. Note, bulbs are dimmable via app/voice control but not dimmable via a mechanical switch
- CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE: Control your smart lights with Alexa app even when you are not at home e.g. from your car, office, gym. Feel secure by making your house look occupied even when you are away by creating an Alexa routine to schedule lights to turn on and off automatically.
- GROUP CONTROL: Create groups in the Alexa app to combine lights together, allowing you to control lights by each room, or all of your home lights with a single voice command or via app. When it's time to sleep, just say “Alexa, turn off the bedroom” OR use the Alexa app to turn off the bedroom lights at once.
- Multicolor & Auto White: Dimmable 16 million colors and warm to cool whites(2500K-6500K). Set your bulb to automatically adjust its color temperature to match natural light patterns from dawn to dusk. Explore endless lighting possibilities to create your favorite light effects for everything from a dinner party to a late-night study session. Great for holiday decorations.
- Voice Control: Get hands-free control of your lights with your voice via Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant. Perfect for times when your hands are full or entering a dark room.
- Remote Control: Control your smart light bulb from anywhere with your smartphone using the free Kasa smart app (iOS, Android). Dim, turn on or off or change the colors of your light bulb remotely at your fingertips.
- Energy Monitoring & Scheduling: Monitor real-time energy usage. Drive down energy consumption without losing quality (60 W equivalent). Use timer or schedules to set your lights to automatically turn on and off whenever you want, such as waking up with a soft glow in the morning with sunrise offset.
- Trusted & Reliable: Kasa is trusted by over 6 Million users. UL certified for safety use. Require 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network connection.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required and included, Alexa device sold separately).
- Bathe your home in millions of colors (with improved, richer cyan, green, and blue) and shades of white light, tailored to your mood or need, controlled wirelessly via a smart device.
- Controllable whether you are home or away, this starter kit adds three color A19 LED smart light bulbs (fits standard-size table lamps) with a Hue bridge that manages up to 50 lights.
- To install, simply screw the smart bulbs into your desired light location, download the Hue mobile app and pair your Hue bridge. Control smart-bulb-equipped lamps and overhead lights via the Philips Hue App. Ideal for your favorite ceiling fan lights, floor lamps, table lamps, pendant lights, and more throughout your home.
- Easily expand your lighting system with accessories (sold separately), such as a Hue Dimmer Switch, Hue Tap, or Hue Motion Sensor. Pair it for automation with your existing Nest or SmartThings system.
- 【Hands-free Voice Control】 MikeWin smart light bulbs can be voice controlled by Alexa, Google Home Assistant and Siri Shortcuts, to turn on/off the light bulbs, change colors, or adjust brightness levels. Just give a simple voice command such as" Alexa, dim the kitchen light to 50%" ; "OK Google, set the light to blue". Free your hands!
- 【"Smart Life" APP Remote Control】No hub required, just connected to your home 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network, this smart LED bulb can make you easily remote control the light bulbs via "Smart Life" app whether you are at home or away. You can also make the smart bulbs in groups to control them with one command at the same time. (Support 2.4GHz ONLY)
- 【Multi-Color & Dimmable Brightness】With over 16 millions of colors and tunable white, MikeWin RGBCW color changing bulb can create your favorite light effects. The brightness and color temperature(2700K-6500K) are both adjustable. Set the light colors, brightness level and color temperature on the “Smart Life” app to suit different scenarios.
- 【Timer & Customized Scenes】Create a schedule (timer or countdown) to automatically turn on/off the light bulbs at any time you want, reminding you to wake up or go to sleep. With 16-million colors and 8 preset scene modes, you are free to DIY your own scene modes to achieve the perfect atmosphere for various occasions, like party, dating, relaxing and so on.
- 【Energy saving & Quality Assurance】The 10W 900lumen smart LED bulb is equivalent to 80W traditional incandescent bulbs, saving up to 85% energy. Lifespan can approximately last 20,000 hours. If any question or need support, please feel free to contac us on Amazon directly. (24-month Free Return, Lifetime Technical Support)
- Dimmable Kasa Smart’s dimmable light bulb has a dimming range from 1 percent to 100 percent; Set the right brightness for any mood or activity; Turn your bulb to full brightness to get your Kids up in the morning or dim it enough for them to fall asleep at night
- No hub required: The Kasa smart Wi-Fi light bulb, dimmable connects to your home’s secure WiFi network; No need for a hub or extra equipment; All you need is your smartphone, the Kasa Smart app and a Wi-Fi connection to start controlling your bulb from anywhere
- Control from anywhere: Control your smart light bulb from anywhere with your smartphone using the case smart app (iOS, Android); Smoothly dim the brightness of your light bulb from anywhere with the app
- Voice control: Use simple voice commands to control your Kasa smart dimmable light bulb with any Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant or Microsoft Cortana; Just tell your voice assistant to dim your lights and set the perfect mood for movie night
- Note: Requires a secured 2.4 gigahertz Wi-Fi network connection. Typical Lumen output - 800lm
- Voice Command - Whenever we want to turn on/off the smart bulb, just say, "Alexa, turn on the light!", and the light on. Greatly free our hands!
- Remote App Control - With the free "Smart Life” APP, we could control our smart bulbs anytime and anywhere, never afraid of leaving home with the light on!
- DIY Mode - 8 scenes for us to choose, satisfy most of our mood needs. No matter happy or upset, there is always a light with us.
- Time Function - Set the time when we need the smart bulb to turn on or off, never afraid of getting home in dark or sleeping with the light on.
- Group and Individual Control - We are allowed to choose control them in a group or individually.
- 16 Million DIY Colors: Govee smart light bulbs own millions of color and 54 preset scene modes, you can explore your favored one or pick one suits your moods most, bringing yourself a real fantastic lighting experience(Working Voltage: AC 120V).
- Music Sync: Our smart light bulbs change color and brightness simultaneously when sounds are detected by the microphone on your phone. Note: only works when the microphone is not occupied. Download Govee Home App and enable microphone permissions.
- Smart Control: Govee color changing light bulbs make it possible to control your bulbs with simple voice commands. And you'd also feel free to turn your smart light bulbs on/off, adjust brightness, or change the colors, set scenes via Govee Home App.
- Group Control: Wanna manipulate your smart light bulbs and other Govee smart products at the same time? Just need to set scheme and and add them in, then they can be controlled together(please connect you bulbs with stable 2.4Ghz WiFi).
- Timer and Schedule: Applying the smart light bulbs to your daily routine now is easier than ever, with timer function and modes like Sunrise & Sunset, you can set your bulbs to brighten when you wake up, and gradually dim when you fall asleep.
- Remote Control & Voice Control: Keep connecting WiFi light bulbs with your home network, you can remotely control alexa light bulbs or check the status of the bulbs via the APP on your smartphone when you leave home or travel. Just give a voice command to turn on/off or dim/brighten your smart bulbs. Treatlife smart bulbs work with Echo Dot, Google Home Assistant, and SmartThings.
- Tunable White & 0%-100% Dimming: Different from other bulbs, Treatlife dimmable led bulb can smoothly be adjusted from 2500K warm white to 6500K cool white, and the dimming range is 1% to 100%. Just control the APP, and you can adjust the brightness and color temperature to create a relaxing and comfortable atmosphere to suit your mood.
- Easy to Install & Energy Saving: Just screw the smart light bulbs into any standard E26 light socket. No hub is required. Not work with the smart switches and dimmer switches. Few steps to connect with the phone APP. 2.4G Wi-Fi (NOT 5G). Energy-saving smart lights have only 9W wattage, equivalent to 60W traditional incandescent bulbs. Saves up to 80% energy, longer bulb life, and cuts your bills.
- Schedules Setting & Group Control: You can set up schedules for the smart light to turn on/off according to your daily routines. Support setting countdown, sunrise, and sunset timer. You may also create a group for all your echo light bulbs for alexa and control them all with one command. No need to check every room and turn off the lights.
- Wide Application & Hassle-Free Support: The smart light bulbs that work with Alexa are E26 socket, A19, and 9W, which fit most home lighting. You can set different light modes to match various occasions including kitchen, living room, bedroom, cafe, bar, party, etc. Our technical team always supports customers with professional installation and connection guidance. Please contact us in time to activate your warranty service so as to get the best solution the first time.
- CONTROL WITH ALEXA --- Turn the smart bulb on/off, dim, brighten, set up routines, schedules, and more using the Alexa and Google Home Assistant. Use 16 Million brilliant and soft colors plus tunable whites to create the perfect mood; High brightness; Great for parties, entertaining and everyday use.
- SMART APPLICATION ---You can use the grouping feature to create groups for multiple bulbs, then activate them according to the label of the group of bulbs you want to turn on .You can control the smart light bulbs anytime and anywhere through your mobile phone,create the atmosphere which you like, make your life more romantic and funnier.(only for 2.4GHz WiFi).
- BRIGHTNESS DIMMABLE --- Our wifi light bulbs provide standard soft warm colors,Our led bulbs have a dimming range from 1% to 100%. Warm white to bright light for deep focus. Pair this alexa light bulb to how you’re feeling or pick a pre set scene from intimate to fun and festive.
- TIMER & SCHEDULE --- Set the led light bulbs to turn on or off at a specific time. Color changing light bulb can help you energize any occasion or room with ease, brilliant colors to light up every moment.
- ENERGY SAVING AND EASY TO INSTALL --- Our 9W light bulbs are equivalent to a 60W traditional incandescent bulb;it can save up to 90% energy. To install, just screw the smart bulbs into any standard E26/E27 light socket or fixture. And under normal use, lifespan will last beyond 2 years.
Last update on 2023-11-13