Onkyo TXNR686 AV Receiver has 7.2 channels and is available from Onkyo. The price makes it affordable for a home theater with a full-featured setup. The well-equipped hi-fi receiver can connect to a complete home cinema system, including current standards support. Easy navigation via the internet is possible for this mid-range device. It can also be controlled using an app with Google voice control and has some network functions. It’s safe to install for both experts and beginners.
We will be heading over a few controllable flaws that only come to the forefront even before looking at the totality.
Onkyo TXNR686 is Onkyo’s 7.2-channel network AV receiver. The mid-range AV receiver will be the first of its kind and should receive THX certification. It also supports Google Assistant. Amazon Music now supports loop-through of 4K HDR in HDR10 and HLG formats.
The device was certified THX Certified Select by using high-current amplifiers that are very efficient and implemented in Dynamic audio Amplification technology. Large transistors were used in the final stages.
That kind of tends to mean that within a room with such a flow rate of up to 56 m3 and viewing audience proximity from the display of 3-3.6 m, the sound effect will become very comparable to what could be acquired in such a highly qualified cinema accredited by THX Ltd. – in some kind of a word, a lot of things happened.
This same company would have been capable of creating a gadget that is highly customizable as well as effective, which provide a natural settings understanding brought by sound and visual fertilization (DTS: X and Dolby Atmos ), good personal autonomy of communication links, and collaborative project with the top – quality 4K picture with Dolby Vision, HGL or HDR10. That would be the recipient who seems to have a one-hundred percent opportunity to reach prospective clients’ quality and value standards.
This same Onkyo TX-NR686 recipient is developed to accommodate the quality standards of all consumers asking for something like a powerful and flexible gadget at quite an applicable rate. The gadget managed to meet determining appropriate conditions. It was recognized the THX Certified Select certificate and cheered to very effective high-current op – amps installed in Versatile Sound Amplification automation, which uses many computer chips in the final phases.
Small and medium-sized rooms were also suitable for something like the Onkyo TX-NR686, gratitude to its exceptional user guidance. Perhaps beginners can smoothly set it up in their home theatre system with this product.
Pros And Cons of Onkyo TX-NR686:
- Supports 5.2.2-channel Dolby Atmos and DTS: x playback
- HDMI 7 in/ main out, and Sub out supporting 4K/60 Hz, HDR10, hlg, Dolby vision, BT.2020, and HDCP 2.2 pass-through plus 1 front HDMI for convenience
- 210 W/Ch with dynamic Audio amplification with 4-Ohm speaker-driving capability
- Dual-band Wi-Fi, DTS Play-Fi, airplay, music, Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, Pandora, tune in and Chromecast built-in
Onkyo TX-NR686 Pros:
- There are transceivers for 7.2 or 5.2.2 cable networks with 165 watts for each cable network.
- They are suited to a broad range of home movie theatre configurations along with System 4 and Ultima Consono Coloma Varion Rubicon.
- Empowers THX, Dolby Genuine HD, DTS: X, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Maestro Stereo sound, and several different of some of the other configurations.
- Registered by THX.
- Soundtrack watching online via Wireless headphones, AirPlay, TuneIn, Amazon Music, Podcasts, in-built Chromebook, DTS Play-Fi, and TIDAL.
- With excellent bass control, the sound seems to be vibrant and highly distinctive. It seems to be straightforward to use and seems to have a lot of features.
- Quite well with a diverse variety of virtual surround operations.
- HDMI with 4K/60Hz support, 3D Ready, and HDCP 2.2.
- There seem to be 7 HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs.
Onkyo TX-NR686 Cons:
- This same configuration could have used some modifications. The object has already taken up all that much space. Unattractive.
- There is always the best Denon AVR-X2700H, something with a little more cash.
- Since that is a direct consequence, broadcast options and implementing apps are more complicated than with contenders.
Onkyo TX-NR686 OverAll:
Onkyo TX-NR686 is sure to delight most people who want to enjoy home cinema at a premium range. It is a fully-equipped multi-channel receiver with a lot of performance and features that even the most sophisticated top-of-the-line receivers will not be embarrassed to own.
The recipient manufacturers introduce new models to the market every year, and it isn’t easy to showcase new and beneficial products to customers. For instance, with Onkyo TX-NR686, Onkyo TX-NR686, there have been certain improvements that are beneficial compared to the TX-NR676E predecessor.
The 7.2-channel Network AV Receiver by Onkyo is awash with pioneering equipment and is incredibly sound-proof. It is the first model in the series, and the TX-NR686 comes with THX certification and support for Google Assistant. The option to stream music through Amazon Music is also new and expands the variety of music streaming services integrated that it has offered from its predecessors.
Onkyo TX-NR686 Main Features:
It’s referred to as “7.2 channels” because it comes with seven connection points for speakers as well as two subwoofers. That will meet the user needs in the domestic market. The built-in entryways provide everything you need. The system unit has seven HDMI inputs, including which is located on the front. The other two outputs that are connected support all video standards, up down to Dolby Vision. Thus, images from virtually every source can be recognized and transmitted to the right place, except for HDR10+. There is nothing else missing.
There is a phono output on the turntable. The network is accessible via cable or wireless. Both WLAN antennas must be able to provide an acceptable reception. Music streaming services and music streaming on your network can be played using this method.
Furthermore, additional devices may be operated by FlareConnect, which is a product developed by Pioneer and Onkyo for playing music from other rooms. Since Chromecast, as well as Play-Fi, are supported, many devices will likely work with them.
The display, with its few display options and The USB port, is both fairly straightforward. The reality that it cannot achieve digital radio reception is not an issue given the number of choices. To conclude, it would be ideal.
The Onkyo TX-NR686 has been THX Select approved and comes with the ability to amplify audio with high current and dynamically. DTS: X and Dolby Atmos decoders, as well as Dolby, Surround as well as DTS Neural: X up mixers, are therefore currently available in the market. Then that doesn’t matter what framework you’re using to go and do the mixing.
With the aid of the mixer, you can also use standard audio tracks like in 5.1, which is then re-extended to 5.1.2. In addition to the Onkyo standard audio amplifying technology, the Onkyo TX-NR686 is also the first model in the TX-NR6x6 line to be equipped with a THX Select certification. That ensures authentic cinema sound, even at a louder volume.
Cinema Sound at Home with THX Certified Select:
The latest feature on an Onkyo device from The 6 Series is the Select certification that isn’t just very rare in the entry-level category.
The Onkyo TX NR686 model is constructed to be able to be subjected to rigorous tests. That is why it received the THX Certified Select certificate – which means that the Onkyo TX-NR686 model can create sound effects that are in line with the standards of cinema professionals accredited by THX Ltd.
Onkyo has been working over the last many years in bringing the devices created by the Japanese company to the extremely rigorous standards set by THX Ltd. It was also the case that when it became the norm, the structures that were priced higher complied with the standards set by THX Ltd; however, this was not as evident in the case of smaller gadgets.
The Onkyo TX-NR686 has demonstrated that even lower-cost products made by this manufacturer are up to the highest standards regarding sound, which is a good thing for fans of the Onkyo brand. For a small amount of money, they could become owners of an excellent receiver that has been certified with THX Ltd.
Alongside the typical Onkyo dynamic audio amplifying (including the capability to control speakers with 4 ohms), The Onkyo TX-NR686 also marks the first model from the TX-NR6x6 line to be fitted with a THX Select certification which ensures true cinema sound even at higher volume.
HDCP 2.2, BT.2020, 4K 60 Hz, 4K HDR, and are all known numbers that it can find on the Onkyo TX-NR686. The six rear HDMI inputs can support the looping-through of four-channel HDR in HDR10 HLG and Dolby Vision formats. That considers the BT.2020 specifications and playback in 4K 60 Hz and the HDCP 2.2 specification for high-quality content. Consoles or video cameras are connected through either the side HDMI connection, and the rear sub-out is perfect for connecting to a projector.
Because of the standard THX, this 650-dollar audio-visual receiver can meet the requirements for performance according to the THX standard intended for small – to medium-sized rooms. The THX standard also includes the audio circuits “Cinema,” “Music,” and “Game.” The streaming section has been updated. Google Assistant for voice-controlled music streaming. Google’s Chromecast now incorporates Google Assistant.
But, it requires a compatible speaker and can send these voice-controlled commands to Google like the Onkyo Smart Speaker G3. The engineers have also integrated the Amazon Music service into Onkyo’s controller app. Spotify, Tidal, and Deezer remain accessible.
Onkyo TX-NR686 Equipment and Features:
The appearance of this receiver has not changed from the TX-666, but the smooth-running volume wheel has been redesigned. It’s now a little lower, making it more tangible. Everything on the back is unchanged: There are 2 HDMI outputs, 6 HDMI inputs per 2.0 standard. The HDMI interface in the front accepts either 4Kor HDCP 2.2.2 signals. It can add six analog stereo RCA inputs to the phono board, including three digital S / PDIF inputs and a phono board.
The structural layout remained the same. Because the Onkyo TXNR686 only has seven power amplifiers, they can only use it to implement a maximum 7.2 layout or 5.2.2 layout with two ceiling boxes. Onkyo can only provide multi-channel sound via seven channels plus two subwoofers due to the absence of pre-outs. The RZ series is capable of producing 9-channel sound. For active sound reinforcement or bi-amping the main speakers, you can get power amplifiers free of charge. Pre-outs allow for audio signals to be sent to another area.
Onkyo TX-686 is equipped with a 4K HDR, HDCP 2.2.2, BT.2020, 4K/60Hz, 4K HDR, and BT.2020. Six rear HDMI inputs are available for looping 4K HDR in HDR10 (HLG), Dolby Vision, and HDR10. The front HDMI connection allows for the connection of video cameras or consoles. They can also connect a projector to the rear sub out.
The back of the device contains six HDMI connections according to current specifications. The back supports 4K / 60p and BT.2020 and the HDR standards HDR10 and HLG. Dolby Vision is also supported. The front has an additional HDMI input.
Onkyo’s TX-NR686 would seem extremely versatile in-home entertainment, even though it has become the standard practice with Onkyo and Pioneer. In addition to DTS Play-Fi, Google Chromecast is installed, which will include Google Assistant in 2018.
As I was testing four Onkyo receivers at once, cunting one of them, I quickly noticed that they had improved the power supply system, and the end stages have changed a lot compared to the older models. Some areas have been modified to adjust the Onkyo TXNR686 for the best performance. That is something Japanese engineers have been working towards for a while, especially with cheaper recipients.
It was designed to increase the current buffer that allows the end-stage to adapt to handle higher speaker sets. The manufacturer launched this receiver model, and its users are assured that they will drive the most demanding speakers units.
My favorite part was the bass, which was sometimes bulky, heavy, and massive, but they always handled it well.
A much more powerful transformer was utilized, and Nippon Chemi-con produced more high-quality capacitors in collaboration (in this specific model, two electrolytic 68V units that had the capability of 8200 microfarads were employed).
Better rectifier bridges for rectifiers are also being used and are distinguished not only by an increase in reaction time but additionally by increased current carrying capacity.
In the end, the power supply system was developed, which could meet the increasing demand for the current in the final stages responsible for amplifying the signal coming from the preamplifiers segment. The two were not connected, but they were connected to the same circuit board that is why each part of the preamplifier was dedicated to each channel on its own.
Audio processing in digital format is overseen by the most recent digital-to-analog conversions provided by the well-known and reputable Asahi Kasei company (the AKM AK4458 384kHz 32-bit units). The analog pathway has been cut down and supports signals going to the preamplifier section and tracks that support analog signals located in the rear panel. The overall audio track has become smaller and has enhanced the quality of the distribution of signals.
The Onkyo TX-NR686 provides higher audio as well. Played are DSD files at 2.8/5.6MHz, Flac files at 192 kHz/24-bit, and Dolby True HD files at 192 kHz/24-bit.
Onkyo TX-NR686 Front & Back:
On The front of the device, we said that we saw the PHONES jack, which is under the main display. Below the volume knob, there’s the microphone port for testing, the analog 3.5mm stereo input port, and an HDMI port that has HDCP 2.2 support for the fast permit.
That one thing that left us with feel awed was the addition of analog input while at the same time leaving out the top-facing USB port. Most mid-to-high-end AVRs use a USB on the side (go to the Denon reviews); however, Onkyo chose to add an audio input that could be useful for certain users but left us wondering why they made the reasoning behind such a choice.
Let’s look in the back and look at what Onkyo has managed to squeeze in there. One of the very first things we observe is the 6 HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs. By adding a front HDMI connection, the number of HDMI inputs has seven which is plenty to connect every device to your home theater system. In addition, with the second HDMI out port, you get more opportunities.
All HDMI ports are compatible with HDCP 2.2 and 4K/60 Hz and all HDR protocols, including HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG, as well as new audio tracks that are object-oriented such as Dolby Atmos as well as DTS:X. Additionally, we have seven-speaker terminals with built-in amplifying to produce a 7.2 or 5.2.2 audio configuration for those who want to benefit from the overhead layer in the new designs.
Onkyo also includes two optical and one coaxial audio inputs as well as a USB port (5V/1A) which seems odd to include one on the back, as it’s not practical in any way, and also an Ethernet port to connect wired to the internet as well as tuner antenna ports. Two lines from one zone and two sub outputs create a dual subwoofer system and make neighbors even more annoyed than before.
The Onkyo TX-NR686 has two composite video inputs and two components video outputs in older connections. Additionally, there are six analog stereo inputs as well as the one-way stereo phono put in.
Onkyo TX-NR686 Accessories And Configuration:
AccuEQ-Microphone: The Onkyo TX-NR686 is equipped with Onkyo’s exclusive AccuEQ speaker measurement system and room EQ. It also comes with 384 kHz and 32-bit D/A converters from AKM (AK4458). As a whole, Onkyo strives for high-quality technology within the 600-700 dollar range.
Amplification of 165 watts per channel sounds great; however, to be fair, it is important to consider that there is only one channel, and none of the seven channels can be controlled using these figures. Some companies, like Arcam, offer the numbers for all channels that are controlled. Most of the time, only stereo between 20 and 20 kHz or a single channel with 1 kHz is determined.
The reality that the Onkyo TX NR686 requires a large amount of power indicates that the company is promoting dynamic audio amplification and the control of four-ohm speakers as an option. The large power supply capacity required to achieve this is facilitated by the specially designed power supply unit with the appropriate reserves. Naturally, there’s an additional feature called Vector Linear Shopping Circuitry (VLSC) to block high-frequency noise in the right and left channels. The amplifier circuit that does not have phase shift to provide precise and clear reproduction is also available onboard.
The same box configuration allows for the positioning of two height boxes to be used as “Height” speakers at the front and rear and “Top” positions at the front and center and rear. Naturally, Dolby-Enabled speakers (top boxes) are also available. Onkyo utilizes phase calibration with “Accu-Reflex” to ensure that it’s released at the appropriate timing. The two subwoofers with plugs can’t be managed separately. They will always hear the same signal at both ends.
The Onkyo automatic measure technology “AccuEQ” is limited to only one measurement point and can only provide an equalized EQ target curve applied to every speaker or exclude the primary speakers. The equalizer is also activated in conjunction with AccuEQ. However, it only works for two boxes. From the 15 channels available, nine can be simultaneously activated. The range of filters is 15 to 17 kHz. The system is being criticized for having an over-long distance and a level of 3 centimeters, or 1dB units. 1-centimeters or 0.5 decibels is better. There is nothing to proclaim about the crossover management that offers cut-off frequencies ranging from 20 and 40 Hertz on each speaker pair and between 80 to 120 Hertz for the speaker system.
Dolby Atmos & DTS X with Mixing
The same Onkyo TX NR686 can be used with both Dolby Atmos as well as DTS X, which is available in 5.2.2 setups; however, it’s not just that technology of mixing that come from DTS (DTS Neural the X) along with Dolby (Dolby Surround) locate spatial information within standard multi-channel music and prepare to be suitable for 3D sound playback. Popular soundtracks for films with Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master audio suddenly make the sound more immersive, whether through Blu-ray or streaming video.
Decoders that support Dolby Atmos and DTS: AX is joined by the mixers Dolby Surround and DTS Neural DTS: X. Onkyo will also have to make do with Auro 3D. In contrast to older AV receivers in the home, The Onkyo TX-NR686 can be used to mix cross-formats. That means that DTS signals can be reproduced using Dolby decoders and reversed. Natural 3D sounds are not an exception. The three sound programs THX do not work with height boxes and can work with all sound signal types, except for DTS The and Dolby Atmos.
Onkyo TX-NR686 Video and Multimedia:
The video board in the Onkyo TX NR686 can process 4K/60p signals, including HDCP2.2, HDR10 Dolby Vision, and HLG, which means it is current. The recipient equipped with HDMI 2.1 will likely not be released until the next year. The only options are the video scaler and equalizer that costs points. The device plays video signals in one of the following ways. They can manually adjust the lip-sync delay. They can control it in a broad range between -100 to 500 milliseconds and so on.
Streaming On-Demand in The Onkyo TX-NR686:
Streaming music from your computer, laptop, or smartphone is easy with the Onkyo TX–NR686. Because of its built-in Chromecast technology, users can manage any song’s playback using their preferred Chromecast-enabled games using iPhone, iPad, Android device, Mac, Chromebook, or Windows laptops.
The Onkyo Controller App streaming services and audio that are network-based can be controlled through one interface. The app permits Internet applications to be searched for and navigated through and distributes the music you want across all of your home with the flick of a finger and controls playback.
If you own a compatible speaker that works with Google Assistant, you don’t have to use your hands. Simply calling the speaker will be sufficient to alter the music player. Additionally, it is practical to use the Onkyo controller app Onkyo Controller App1; streaming services and audio streaming over networks are managed through an intuitive interface. The app allows Internet service to be in search and navigate. It allows the desired music to be distributed throughout the home at the swipe of a hand and controls the playback.
The TX-NR686 from Onkyo comes with an assortment of wireless connectivity options as well as two multiroom technologies that are wireless: FlareConnect and DTS Play-Fi. It is possible to stream music on any device or computer using: Chromecast, AirPlay, or Bluetooth.
Utilizing the Onkyo Controller app (Android, iOS), you have full control of your device (including ZONE2 analog multi-room). ZONE2 digital multi-room) as well as also access some of the websites listed below: Spotify, TIDAL, TuneIn, Amazon Music, Deezer.
Amazon Music, Spotify2, TIDAL2, Deezer2, and TuneIn2 are some of the on-demand music and web radio services that have recently been integrated into Onkyo’s user interface of Onkyo TX NR686. All control systems and streaming functions, such as AirPlay, are powered by 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz WiFi. While there is a crowded network, this ensures their stability. The addition of Bluetooth wireless technology expands the possibilities for music streaming.
Onkyo TX-NR686 Flare Connect System:
What’s the deal with Fire Connect? Blackfire Research originally developed the system, was taken over by Pioneer Onkyo, and is now named Flare Connect. AirPlay and Bluetooth complete the vast selection of devices. Deezer Tune-In Internet Radio, Spotify, Amazon Music, and Tidal are all supported by streaming services.
Onkyo TX-NR686 provides a wide variety of options related to wireless signal transmission to multi-room use thanks to FlareConnect technology (after updating) in addition to Play-Fi, which has been in use for a while in nearly every Onkyo receiver. It also supports Bluetooth in addition to AirPlay and Chromecast. Furthermore, through Onkyo Controller, an Onkyo Controller application available for Android and iOS, it’s easy to operate the receiver with mobile devices and access websites that offer internet-based music, such as Tidal, Spotify, Amazon Music, or Deezer.
You will find all the connectors needed in the back panel in the rear panel, suitable for any audio and video transmission method. In addition, there are HDMI inputs in the most recent specification, a phono preamplifier, and many analog stereo inputs using RCA connectors. The Onkyo TX-NR686 also relies on the independent outputs of the second zone’s final stages and the analog-controlled outputs of the preamplifier. Also, there were optical and coaxial digital inputs as well as two subwoofer outcomes.
Onkyo TX-NR686 Audio Quality:
We were doing a tracking experiment to choose films and music. The test revealed that the TX-NR686 from Onkyo could build upon the performance of its predecessor across all areas: 175 and 149 power per channel in stereo (4/6 ohms) are impressive for this price, and the compact receiver has always was able to deliver even with seven concurrently utilized power amplifiers, which were still in the range of 82 or 69 Watts (4/6 Ohms).
Our test sample failed five channels in operation at 4 ohms. Here there was an increase in power. The power of each channel dropped by about 20 watts in comparison to the model of last year. However, the power for five channels of the TX-NR676E was 98 watts of power at 6 ohms.
It was completely obvious from the hearing test that it would have no effect. The Onkyo managed to turn out to be a lost love. Whereas rock music sounded vibrant and fun, he performed energetically and effectively. 5.1 baroque audio on an SACD, for instance, demonstrates that classical recordings lacked softness. However, that was not capable of performing complex orchestral arrangements as well as the higher-end AV recipients.
The test was fast and easy; however, we needed to tweak the distances and frequencies of the crossover a bit. The AccuEQ was on, and the Atmos trailer then turned around the user. The “Powerful Bass” inside the “Amaze” clip seemed to be crisp and precise, although not as exaggerated as we’re getting used to having heard from Onkyo products. The flying effects were well placed in the room, even if the sound field could have been bigger.
The Japanese device increased the synthesizer’s sound in a discernible manner; however it wasn’t as precise as what could be with four speakers in the ceiling. The Onkyo was awe-inspiring with its huge effects of locatable, however, with the bass that we would like to hear with more precision and depth.
Even in stereo music in Pure Direct mode, which eliminates all components not essential to playback, the Onkyo was full of fun thanks to its direct strong, high-quality, and fine-resolution playback.
The Onkyo TX-NR686 delivers dynamics that are impressive and have outstanding full-range audio control. The multi-channel device tested in the lab is captivating with its power and power inclination regardless of the volume at which it is set to operate.
Onkyo was particularly successful by recording a track with DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz 24 bit). Onkyo TX-NR686 played the track with a level of control and precision worthy of more expensive multi-channel designs. I especially liked the bass. Sometimes it was massive, heavy, and huge, but always controlled.
On the other hand, during film screenings, Onkyo performed in the same way, with control of the sound, particularly those that were reproduced with the lowest tones; therefore, I watched the most recent James Bond movie with delight, as every scene I’ve seen that require the precision of an audio receiver with multiple channels to reproduce the multitude of sounds that were being heard simultaneously it was evident that they could be presented with clarity and in a dynamic manner. I will always watch the James Bond movie for testing various sounds simultaneously.
However, Onkyo, on its own, is not distinguished by a sonic nirvana. The timbre is neutral, and the powerful tones are delivered directly without embellishment by mild warming or gentle smoothing. If you prefer an energetic, direct, and above all, an even and balanced sound and sound, then Onkyo might be a good choice for them.
The TX-NR686 from Onkyo is focused on the same elements of sound regardless of or source of the music. When I played music on the Tidal website and connected to a smartphone using Bluetooth, the device could produce a sound that was the same as when you play music with stereo on an audio player. Onkyo did a great job. However, it also sounded natural when I played music with two channels with various 5.1 modes, amplifying sound and volume.
Onkyo TX-NR686 Multiroom:
“Controller” app from Onkyo “Controller” app enables comfortable listening to music, as well as multi-room apps. Through FlareConnect, DTS Play-Fi, and Chromecast, the receiver supports numerous streaming options. Additionally, the Onkyo can connect to music through AirPlay, Bluetooth, DLNA client, and USB Media player can play hi-res audio media files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC) with the 192 kHz/24 bit and DSD files that can reach 5.6 milliseconds. An AK4458 chip with 384 kHz and 32 bits of AKM can be responsible for the conversion to D/A.
Although other multiroom receivers usually operate in a closed system created by a specific manufacturer, Onkyo enables the wireless playback of any room with the help of different multiroom platforms like The connected Chromecast technology. DTS Play-Fi, or FlareConnect. It also supports different components. The music program can be adapted to suit the ambiance of a particular personal situation. For iOS and Android gadgets, the Onkyo Controller app helps control the multiroom audio stereo sound of watching online Internet radio and integrated files and music from Stereo systems and record players.
Impedance Analysis & Power Consumption Analysis in Onkyo TX-NR686:
The Model TX-NR686 from Onkyo is capable of working using columns with a nominal impedance of 4 ohms. Speaker sets that have these impedance ratings compared to 😯 structures force amplifiers to draw more power and, most of all, the power. That is a type of paradox since the speakers with lower impedance result in that their power is doubled in the majority of amps; however, not all amplifiers will handle that.
That is why the most important component of any amplifying system, especially multi-channel, is the power source specifically designed to supply a sufficient amount of current even when the last stages are operating at extremely large volumes.
They used a more efficient energy transformer for the Onkyo TX-NR686 model and the preferred contemporary storage to achieve the required characteristics in response to the current of the final stages at a given moment. Because of that, the rectifier system, current storage capacitors, and circuit that provides power to the inverters were simplified.
Is Onkyo TX-NR686 Worth It?
The Onkyo TX NR686 is one of the mid-range multi-channel receivers; however, it has many advantages in terms of the power output and the equipment. Due to the continuous advancement of technology, the current multi-channel receivers can compete at a previously reserved level for the most expensive models.
As a result, Onkyo released a feature-rich multi-channel receiver. With the ability to reproduce 3D sound, the adaptability of wireless links, and close cooperation with the highest possible quality 4K images that use Dolby Vision, HGL, and HDR10. The Japanese company has built an extremely flexible and powerful device that offers a natural and immersive experience.
The cost of Onkyo TX NR686 is appealing, particularly considering its features and capabilities. Another factor is the quality of sound, which can meet the demands of even the most demanding of fans for multi-channel music. Onkyo is awe-inspiring with its absolute control of sound with an amazing impulse response and an impressive yet controlled bass. An additional benefit is an automated calibration system that novice users unfamiliar with the equipment set can master without spending too long.
The most recent models in the middle or budget price range are equipped with just and top-quality models. Naturally, the top models from a particular manufacturer have more options in terms of the power capacity or efficiency due to more sophisticated power supply systems or more powerful power stages; however, market conditions have proven that even if a user demands sound quality but not necessarily eliminate cheaper options.
The entry-level Onkyo TX-NR686THX doesn’t even have to make any major concessions in terms of multimedia, multiroom, or 4K video while compared to more expensive versions. The effective and powerful sound of the seven amps is also spectacular. For the cost of 650 dollars, you won’t find a more appropriate sounding receiver.
The Onkyo TX-NR686 is a piece of top-quality equipment with top-quality sound and all at a reasonable cost. It’s perfect for rooms that are small to medium in size and, thanks to its easy, user-friendly interface, even novices can create their cinema at home.
You can purchase an instrument capable of handling virtually anything for a few hundred dollars and even play music in other rooms. They can handle the majority of formats associated when you use video or audio signals. Thanks to the use of a combination of 3 multiroom standards, the relatively free design is a powerful argument. Indeed, some aspects that aren’t completely solved do not matter in this amount, especially when you consider the nearly complete machine.
There should be nothing better than the currently offered transmitter and receiver if we want a single unified device that needs to serve as an entertainment system. In the event, Onkyo had also released the Onkyo TX-NR686, a flawless design for this, a contemporary and not overloaded 7.2 multi-channel recipient with a broadcaster.
Product Specifications for Onkyo TX-NR686:
A handful of features that you can use, but don’t have to, are shown to illustrate how technically advanced modern receivers can be; the Onkyo TX-daily NR686’s operation, despite its complexity at a first quick glimpse, is fairly straightforward.
Most Important Features of Onkyo TX-NR686:
- HOME CINEMA RECEIVER ONKYO TX-NR686 TYPE WEIGHT10 kg DIMENSIONS (W H D) 435 173.5 mm
- Decoder: Doly Atmos THX Certified Select – cinema reference sound (5.2.2.) As well as the DTS:
- For each channel, the maximum output power is 165W.
- The HDMI port has seven inputs: the front one and two outputs, one of which is the essential one and the other is the sub-main one. amps with pass-through capability Four-channel audio amplification using dynamic audio amplification
- The AKM D/A converter (AK4458) VLSC filter and 384 kHz/32-bit sampling rate
- With Google Assistant, Chromecast works with Dual-Band Wireless N, DTS Play-Fi, and AirPlay.
- It also works with music services such as Amazon Music and streaming services such as Spotify, TIDAL.com, Deezer, and TuneIn.
Onkyo TX-NR686 Features that Ensure Modernity:
- DTS Play-Fi – allows music can be sent from the recipient to Bluetooth speakers. The multiroom control via the Onkyo Music Control App
- DTS Play-Fi – allows music can be sent from the recipient to Bluetooth speakers. The multiroom control via the Onkyo Music Control App AirPlay can stream from iTunes, iPad, iPhone, and iPod.
- DSD: 5.6MHz / 2.8MHz, 192 kHz / 24-bit FLAC, WAV (RIFF), AIFF, ALAC, and Dolby TrueHD
- Some services are available like Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora, Amazon Music, Deezer, and TuneIn internet radio.
- FlareConnect is a multi-room audio distribution system that distributes audio from the relay module to wireless speakers that work with the system.
- Outputs for Zone 2 speakers and Zone 2 lines – dedicated D/A converters with analog inputs
- Bluetooth (Versia 4.1 + LE, A2DP 1.2, AVRCP 1.3) – wireless communication with mobile devices, tablets, and laptops.
- Optimizes the playback of compressed files, which are also available via Bluetooth, with Advanced Music Optimizer.
- Even when using the multi-channel structure 5.2, there is bi-amping for the front channels.
- On the HDMI output, you can convert from 480i to 480p.
Onkyo TX-NR686 Amplifier Features:
- Herer, 165 W / channel (6, 1 kHz, 1% THD, 1 current driven, IEC) output power.
- Dynamic Audio Amplification (DAA) is a method for creating a thrilling stereo and multi-channel experience.
- There is a Low-distortion end amplifier based on transistors.
- End amplifier with a high output current capable of controlling large loudspeakers with a 4-ohm impedance.
- Transformer for HCPS (High Current Power Supply).
- They have a clear and detailed sound from an amplifier with no phase shifts.
- VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) – noise-free sound.
- HCPS (High Current Power Supply) – transformer customized to the needs of the customer.
- PLL (Phase Locked Loop) – jitter-reduction technology – S/PDIF out the result.
Onkyo TX-NR686 Processing Features:
- Rewind of DTS and Dolby Atmos: X (5.2.2).
- ARC (Audio Return Channel), DeepColor and xvColor, LipSync, Dolby Atmos, Super Audio CD (SACD), DTS: X, DTS-HD Master Audio, DVD-Audio, CEC and Multichannel PCM,
- They are all supported by HDMI.
- Transducer with 384 kHz/32-bit AKM (AK4458).
- That technology reduces jitter – S/PDIF output. PLL (Phase Locked Loop).
- DSP with 32-bit architecture.
- There are four DSP modes to choose from Rock, Sports, Action, and RPG for games.
- There is an immersive Virtual Surrounding in 3D Theater.
- When in Pure Audio Mode, the receiver acts as a stereo amplifier, resulting in crystal-clear sound.
- It’s a direct mode of operation.
- Tone (bass and treble) for the front L/R channels can be adjusted.
Onkyo TX-NR686 Connections:
- One front HDMI input and two outputs are provided by this device (Main, Sub)
- Audio playback from flash memory via USB port with 5V/1A power supply
- Two inputs in total, including both composites
- Three digital audio inputs are available (2 optical and one coaxial)
- 6 RCA analog inputs (rear) are available (with phono)
- INTERFACES PHONO inputs (with RIAA equalizer)
- One analog 3.5mm jack input (front)
- two subwoofer outputs
- One jack for headphones (6.35) (front)
- Only AccuEQ measuring microphone can be plugged in (front)
- A screw-in speaker (9 pairs) jack that accepts a banana plug.
Onkyo TX-NR686 Other features:
- Crossover network can be adjusted for each channel (40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, and 200 Hz).
- A/V sync (up to 500 ms in 5 ms steps up to 48 kHz).
- There is an On-screen OSD on HDMI output with Quick Set-Up (graphic OSD).
- On the rear panel, there is a diagram that shows how the connections are made.
- Large, easy-to-select keys.
- “IP Control” function over a LAN is available.
- When Hybrid Standby is enabled, a maximum of 12.5W of power is consumed when the system is in standby mode.
- HDMI Standby Through (on) is enabled for devices connected via HDMI to the receiver, which sends signals from those devices to a TV with the recipient turned off (Standby).
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Amazon Best Seller List of Receivers:
- Cinematic Sound at Home: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home.NOTE: Scroll down the catalog to find installation Manual and User Guide for trouble shooting steps.
- Virtual Front Surround: S Force PRO delivers virtual surround sound with only a 2 speaker setup
- Smart Connectivity: Stream music and use Bluetooth Standby turn on the receiver from your phone
- Multi Function System: Enjoy a Multi Channel Stereo Setup, FM Radio Tuner and 1/4 Inches Headphone Jack
- Dynamic Setup: 4 Stereo Rca Audio Inputs and 2 Digital Audio Outputs (1 Optical and 1 Coaxial)
- Amplify and enjoy your home audio experience in the comfort of your home
- 100 watts x 2 (8 ohms, 1 Kilo Hertz). Speaker impedance - 6–16 ohms
- Phono input, 4 stereo RCA audio inputs, 3.5 millimeter input, stereo RCA output
- Built in Bluetooth lets you wirelessly stream your favorite music service, podcasts, and more from other Bluetooth devices.
- Connect up to 4 speakers; A/B switching to play all at once, or in separate zones
- Advanced circuitry design.Speaker selector for 2 systems. Input Sensitivity (CD): 500 MV/47k ohmsHead phone terminalAuto power standby functionSpeaker selector and speaker terminals for two systems
- Bluetooth to your favorite streaming music services
- 40 station FM/AM preset tuning; Frequency Response: 10Hz – 100kHz (0 plus/ minus 0.5 dB / 0 plus/ minus 3.0 dB)
- Brushed aluminum finish and simplistic design
- Speaker selector for 2 systems. Input Sensitivity (CD): 500 MV/47k ohms
- CINEMATIC SOUND AT HOME: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home
- BREATHTAKING AUDIO: Dolby Atmos and DTS:X deliver multi-dimensional and object-based surround sound
- STUNNING 4K QUALITY: 4K HDR pass through with support for Dolby Vision, HDR10, and Hybrid Log Gamma provides greater and clearer color, contrast, and brightness
- GET CONNECTED: 4 in/1 out HDMI each and 1 optical / 1 coaxial digital and analog audio connections
- AUTO CALIBRATION: Advanced D.C.A.C. analyzes and adjusts the audio for optimal sound in every room
- 300 WATT POWER: The 2-Channel Bluetooth Stereo Amplifier Receiver is perfect for your karaoke & home theater acoustic sound system. Gives you 300 watt power output, accommodates 2 sets of speakers, lets you enjoy high quality amplified audio
- 7 INPUTS: The digital amp box supports various external sources - 2 pairs RCA audio input for tuner, CD player, tape deck, 2 1/4" microphone IN, USB, SD card, AUX IN, FM radio, headphone output. Features combo screw-type banana plug speaker output
- BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY: The professional indoor stereo receiver is equipped w/ Bluetooth wireless music streaming w/ 45 plus ft wireless range. Works w/ today’s latest devices including smart phone, iPad, iPhone & computer w/ hassle-free receiver pairing
- EQ CONTROLS: The improved professional compact bookshelf sound amplifier features crisp, responsive buttons for mode controls. Rotary knob controls for mic volume, balance, bass, treble, master volume, input source and the unique folder/track
- DIGITAL LED DISPLAY: The integrated receiver for home stereo features an FM radio w/ built-in LED display w/ front panel audio control center, displaying the input source & modes. Includes FM antenna & remote control for distant audio adjustments
- ☑️220 WATTS PEAK POWER: Moukey 2 Channel Bluetooth Stereo Amplifier Receiver is compact but powerful, which is perfect for your karaoke, home theater, acoustic sound system, and monitor headphones. Provide you with 220 watts power output, which can accommodate 2 sets of speakers, so that you can enjoy the home audio impact of high-quality audio amplification.
- ☑️7 INPUTS: The audio amplifier supports various external signal sources - 2 pairs RCA audio inputs for tuner, CD player, tape drive, 2 1/4 inch(6.35mm) microphone inputs, USB, SD card, 3.5mm AUX IN, FM radio. With RCA audio output, 2 pairs of banana plug speaker outputs. Features the special monitor headphone output design, so you can enjoy audio all the time without the worry that bother others.
- ☑️EQ CONTROLS: The improved professional compact bookshelf sound amplifier features clear, responsive buttons for mode control. Knobs control for microphone echo / volume, balance, bass, treble, master volume, input source and unique folder / track.
- ☑️BLUETOOTH 5.0 WIRELESS CONNECTION: The professional indoor stereo receiver is equipped with Bluetooth music streaming with a wireless range of 40 feet / 10 meters or more. Works with today's latest devices (including smartphone, tablet, iPad, iPhone and computer), this bluetooth amplifier is easy to pair with the receiver.
- ☑️HD LED SCREEN: The integrated receiver for home stereo features an FM radio w/ built-in LED display w/ front panel audio control center. FM Antenna and Remote Control are included in the stereo amplifier package for distant audio adjustments. (Remote control can remotely control the volume of MP3/BT/FM.)
- 7.1 CHANNEL: The Pyle 7.1 Channel Hi-Fi Home Theater Receiver is perfect for your home entertainment system. Gives you 2000 watts peak power to be used for speakers and subwoofers w/ 4-16 ohms impedance, lets you enjoy high quality amplified audio .DIGITAL VFD DISPLAY: The home theater surround sound receiver system has built-in VFD display & AM/FM radio. Features front panel control center & integrated over current, short circuit & over-voltage protection. Includes remote control & power cable Battery Operated Remote Control, Requires (2) x ‘AAA’ Batteries, (Batteries Not Included )What’s in the Box: AV Receiver, Remote Control, Power Cable
- BLUETOOTH-COMPATIBLE: The professional integrated high powered stereo receiver is equipped w/ bluetooth wireless music streaming. Works with today’s latest devices including smart phones, iPhone, iPad and computers with hassle-free receiver pairing
- 4K UHD TV SUPPORT: The AV digital amp box is equipped w/ 4K ultra HD TV, 3D and video pass-through support w/ dedicated RCA subwoofer output. Connect & stream audio/video from external devices via USB, RCA, HDMI, optical/coaxial digital audio
- EQ CONTROLS: The home amplifier with bluetooth has 2 ¼” mic inputs with independent input source selection. Equipped w/ next gen audio DSP sound processing technology and controls for echo, bass, treble, microphone and volume adjustments
- DIGITAL VFD DISPLAY: The home theater surround sound receiver system has built-in VFD display & AM/FM radio. Features front panel control center & integrated over current, short circuit & over-voltage protection. Includes remote control & power cable
- 5.1 channel powerful surround sound
- Bluetooth for wireless connectivity. Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 100W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD); Rated Output Power (20Hz 20kHz, 2ch driven) 70W (8 ohms, 0.09% THD); Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (Jeita) 145W (6 ohms, 10% THD)
- HDMI 2.1 with HDCP 2.2 (4 in/1 out)
- 4K Ultra HD support, HDR10, Dolby vision, hybrid log gamma and BT.2020
- YPAO auto calibration technology for ideal sound, Exclusive Yamaha Cinema DSP technology supports playback of HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, etc.), providing natural and expansive sound imaging
- MULTI-ROOM AUDIO. The TX-8220 features two sets of speaker posts. The receiver drives either a single pair of speakers (4–16 Ohms) or two pairs of speakers (8–16 Ohms) to enjoy the same audio source in two rooms, or switch between two sets of speakers.
- BLUETOOTH COMPATIBLE. Seamlessly connect your phone, tablet or PC and stream to the receiver with Bluetooth Wireless Technology. This smart receiver remembers your device and starts playback whenever it detects an incoming Bluetooth audio stream.
- MULTIPLE CONNECTIONS. For music and film lovers that want to add great sound to any source, this receiver comes extensively equipped with a quality MM phono stage for your turntable, digital inputs to route audio from TV and four analog line inputs.
- HI-CURRENT AMP SYSTEM. Onkyo’s high-current low-impedance Wide Range Amplification Technology (WRAT) design uses a massive EI transformer to drive your speakers accurately, even under heavy loads, so sound quality doesn't suffer.
- FEATURES. 45 W/Ch stereo power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels Driven, FTC); 100 W/Ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 2 channels Driven) , AM - 530 kHz–1,710 kilo Hertz
- HiFi Stereo AMP ▶ -- This Dual channel stereo digital amplifier offer 100W+100W peak power and 30W+30W rated power, with 12V 5A power supply to connect the devices.
- Bluetooth 5.0 ▶ -- Built-in bluetooth 5.0 core, no pop, no audible noise when Bluetooth connection is established, designed for the customers who pursue HiFi sound. (NOTE: Please keep the distance within 30ft/10m between the device and amplifier without any wall blocking. But if you are connecting whith TV or PC devices, please keep the distance within 15ft/5m.)
- USB 2.0/SD Card Input ▶ -- The sound amplifying mixer device features a USB/SD card input to support flash drives or SD card. Allows you to play your favorite audio files from your computer's media library when you connect it directly to the amp.
- Bass & Treble Control ▶-- Designed with volume, treble and bass control knobs for more delicate adjustment of the sound, much fun and high playability. Include controller for distant audio adjustments. Note: There is an isolation plastic sheet at the bottom of the remote control, which needs to be removed before use.
- Wide Application ▶ -- Compatible with mobile phones, computers, tablets, notebooks, TVs and projectors with AV audio etc. Recommend for home TV audio, computer audio system-game, tower Speaker, garden speaker. Small simple compact design also for car audio system.
Last update on 2023-05-15