Wyze is a well-known name in the field of smart home security cameras. Since their cameras can save video footage on a microSD card rather than the cloud-like most others, this means they can provide more secure backup. A growing number of people are turning to outside cameras to capture porch pirates in the act of stealing their prized Amazon shipments, or at least to be alerted when a box is on its way so they can get it before the thief does.
Many people who buy Wyze outside cameras discover that they would also come with a Base Station, which they didn’t realize was included in the package. Wyze seems to be the only specific hardware and software vendor that includes a base station with their outdoor smart cameras.
This raises the issue of whether or not the Base Station is essential. What may be the reason behind this?
What is the Wyze Outdoor Cam?
You may use the Wyze Outdoor Cam to keep an eye on your property, whether it’s for visitors or shady individuals. In addition, they’re ideal for obtaining rare videos of animals who are afraid of people.
Even in the harshest weather conditions like snow, rain, and wind—so long as they’re firmly attached to the ground—the Wyze outdoor cameras are built to survive the elements. Even at night, the Wyze outside camera can catch video up to 25 feet away so that you won’t miss a thing.
Wireless operation and a rechargeable battery that may last anywhere from three to six months are further advantages. When you’re not home, you may still communicate with anyone at the door, including delivery people, and give them directions using the two-way audio feature.
In addition, ‘People-Only’ motion detection using heat sensors is available on these cameras, lowering false alerts from inanimate things like shrubbery and passing automobiles significantly.
Like most of their other cameras, they have microSD. To keep any recorded material locally, and there are slots for cards up to 32GB. For future reference, these 12-second recordings may be viewed and stored or deleted as needed.
How the Wyze Base Station Works?
Wyze’s Base Station backs up camera recordings, according to the company. These recordings may be saved to a solid-state drive on the device as well. Using a wired Ethernet connection, you may attach up to four Wyze outside cameras to a single Base Station.
It is possible to switch between a wired and wireless connection using the Wyze app after the first setup, although it is not required. The Network Connection must be installed and kept within since it is not weather-resistant like the exterior cameras. Aside from that, there is no problem with the Base Station’s range regarding the cameras.
Can I use the Wyze Outdoor Cam without a Base Station?
Sadly, this is not feasible at this time. Since they are designed to function together, Wyze outdoor cameras are commonly included in Introductory Kits and Bundles. In the absence of the link, the cameras outside will be unable to function. Wyze’s basic settings and key customizations are unavailable without any of the Base stations, which is why it’s crucial to have one.
If you don’t have access to the internet, you can only use your camera systems in Travel mode. You can take your outside cameras with you on a trip, but you’ll only be capable of recording motion occurrences to your thumb drive in travel mode. It is still necessary to connect to the Base Station to activate Travel mode in this scenario.
To ensure that you get the most out of your outside cameras, Wyze seems to have made the Base Station a necessity since they included several main characteristics for both security and convenience of use. There are many more advantages to using the Base Station in exchange for connecting to the internet.
Benefits of using the Wyze Outdoor Cam with the Base Station
There are a few additional benefits to having a Base Station in place for your exterior cameras. For example, it extends the life of your battery. With the Base Station, you no longer have to depend on the camera for video storage. As a result, the battery lasts longer between recharges.
Utilizing the Base Station lowers router compatibility difficulties if you have a wired Ethernet cable to connect. A cable connection is more robust and trustworthy than a wirelessly one, and it also improves reaction times. Additionally, that use the Base Station provides an additional piece of mind.
Even if the cameras are installed properly, they are still vulnerable to theft since they are located outdoors. Fortunately, the Ground Station has your back in the event of such an occurrence. How? All recordings are saved to the Ground Station for one thing. If your camera has been stolen, you don’t want to risk losing any important video, even that of the intruder! Second, the thief can’t use the stolen camera anymore because of the Base Station.
The thief can’t reset the camera or do that with their Wyze account until you remove it from your account. It’s also safe to say that they won’t be able to get into your account. It may also display the status of each camera attached to it, allowing you to quickly and detect any connection issues.
Utilizing a Base Station enables you to set your cameras at a larger distance from each other than unless you’re just using the cameras and the Wyze app. You may position your sensors up to 300 feet away from the Base Station with no significant impediments. Impediments, including walls and concrete, may limit the distance.
Alternative outdoor smart cameras that don’t require a Base Station or Hub Many individuals don’t like the concept of having to utilize a Base Station with Wyze smart cameras. Towards that purpose, there are several different possibilities to explore.
Ring, another popular smart camera brand, is also available. A hub and the otherwise base station are not needed to operate their smart camera technology. However, they can’t store data locally. If the Wi-Fi connection in the region is poor or inconsistent, this might be an issue for certain consumers. Even yet, many smart homes continue to use them.
Logitech camera that doesn’t need a base station is also available. Because of its waterproof construction and compatibility with Apple HomeKit, the Circle Perspective Camera is ideal for outdoor applications. However, the drawback here is that there is no local storage. iCloud is where everything is saved. With no wireless option and corded installation, this camera must be mounted on a wall and ensure that it has a source of electricity to plug into—preferably in your home so that a burglar can’t quickly cut power by making it off because of the camera.
The Arlo Essential items Wireless Security Camera is the closest thing you’ll get to a Wyze-like experience. It has a weather-resistant, wireless architecture and both neighborhood and cloud storage — all without the need for an Access Point.
Google Nest has an outdoor cam as well. However, it only offers cloud storage, not local storage. So it compares more closely to Ring and Logitech.
Despite its unimpressive appearance, Wyze’sImplementation of the Base Station shows that they may be on the right track. Suppose you don’t have a Base Station. In that case, the Wyze outdoor cameras are still a wonderful option since they provide:
- A more encrypted channel.
- Greater protection for your property and individual cameras.
- Various options to recalibrate recorded data.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List of Wyze Cameras:
- Indoor/Outdoor: Wyze Cam Pan v3 is a wired pan-and-tilt video camera with an IP65 rating, so you can confidently install it and track the action, whether outside in the rain or inside in the nursery (outdoor use requires Wyze Outdoor Power Adapter v2, sold separately).
- Pan, tilt, and zoom in full 1080p HD: Livestream from anywhere and control remotely using the Wyze app to check any part of the room, fast. Or monitor a room automatically, in a constant pattern, by setting 4 predefined waypoints. Panning has a 360° left/right rotation range and tilting has a full 180° vertical up/down range.
- Motion Tracking: Go beyond motion and sound alerts. Wyze Cam Pan doesn’t just detect motion, it locks onto it—unfriendly, friendly, or furry—automatically following the action all around the room.
- Smooth, quiet operation: Engineered for speed, precision, and quiet operation. Wyze Cam Pan v3 does its job smoothly and discreetly, without noisy gearworks.
- Color Night Vision: Record nighttime video in full, vivid color in environments up to 25x darker than traditional cameras.
- Livestream with Color Night Vision - Monitor your home day or night with 1080P HD video & color night vision.
- Indoor/Outdoor - Wyze Cam OG is a wired security camera with an IP65 rating so you can confidently install it outside in the rain or inside in the kids’ room. Wyze Outdoor Power Adapter (sold separately) required for outdoor use.
- Deter Intruders - A 40lm built in spotlight and mini-siren ward off would-be package thiefs. Weather Resistance: Indoor and Outdoor (IP65)
- Motion/Sound Notifications - Wyze Cam OG alerts you instantly when motion or sound is detected. Motion Detection Zones and custom settings allow you to adjust the sensitivity of detection or turn it off completely
- Two Ways to Record Videos - Get secure cloud recording as well as person, package, pet, and vehicle detection with Cam Plus (subscription required) or insert a microSD card (sold separately) to record videos locally.
- Color night vision: An all-new Starlight Sensor records night time video in full, vivid color. The Starlight Sensor can see full color in environments up to 25x darker than traditional video cameras and the new f/1.6 aperture captures 2x more light.Controller Type:Google Assistant;Amazon Alexa;IFTTT.Connectivity protocol:Wi-Fi.Power source type:Corded Electric
- Indoor/Outdoor: Wyze Cam v3 is a wired video camera with an IP65 rating so you can confidently install it outside in the rain or inside in the kids’ room. Wyze Outdoor Power Adapter (sold separately) required for outdoor use. Phone Compatibility- Android 5.0 plus , iOS 9.0 plus .
- Easy to set up: Plug it in, power it up, and complete setup through the Wyze app. Then the included 3 months of Cam Plus is automatically activated with an optional renewal. Wyze Cam v3 has a Siren.
- Never miss a moment: Cam Plus records unlimited full motion whenever it’s detected. Feel more secure knowing your Wyze Cam with Cam Plus will capture the full story.
- Smarter alerts: Wyze Cams come with motion detection alerts, but they can’t detect people, packages, pets, or vehicles. Cam Plus gives you the option to only receive alerts of your interest, which can reduce notifications by up to 70%.
- Two super bright, adjustable LEDs for a combined 2600 lumens of light, and a handy dimming option where less brightness is desired.
- Three individually controlled PIR sensors provide for 270 degrees of customizable motion detection. Range and sensitivity are adjustable up to 30 feet.
- Built in Wyze Cam v3 provides sound detection, as well as artificial intelligence and the ability to identify and record motion, with or without the floodlight, in 1080p Full HD with Starlight Sensor color night vision.
- Dusk to Dawn automation. Wyze Cam Floodlight knows when the sun is down and when it's up. No need to turn the floodlight on or off once it’s connected.
- Now with Color Night Vision: Record night time video in full, vivid color in environments up to 25x darker than traditional cameras.Controller Type:Google Assistant. Connectivity protocol:Wi-Fi;Bluetooth.Power source type:Battery Powered Battery powered and wire-free: Mount anywhere and leave it there with IP65 weather resistance. Get up to 6 months battery life on a single charge. Protect every corner of your home with a 130 degree field of view. Connect up to 4 cameras to a single base station and view all video streams in the Wyze app.
- Smart security: Get notified about movement with a PIR sensor that senses body heat. Set custom detection zones. Scare away intruders with an optional motion-activated siren. Person and package detection available with CamPlus. Easy installation: Skip running wires or searching for outlets. Friendly step-by-step guides in the Wyze app make wireless DIY install a breeze. Wyze Smart Devices only work with 2.4GHz networks. Charging Temperature: 32℉ - 122℉
- Instant Notifications: Never miss another visitor. Unless you want to. Receive instant push notifications when Wyze Video Doorbell is pressed so you know the moment someone’s at your door. Pull up a live stream of your visitor before responding to decide whether you’d like to ignore a solicitor or answer the delivery driver.Power: 16V-24V AC, ≥10VA (May use existing doorbell-chime circuit, or standalone transformer and wires.). Cam Plus Compatible
- 3:4 Aspect Ratio: 3:4 head-to-toe view & 1080p Full HD Video: People are taller than they are wide. So is our live stream. Wyze Video Doorbell records and live streams video in 1080p Full HD with a 3:4 aspect ratio so you can see every visitor from head to toe. You’ll also be able to see packages left on the ground beneath your doorbell.
- Motion Detection, Smart Alerts & Video Recording: Wyze Video Doorbell lights up brightly when motion is detected nearby, alerting visitors and would-be porch pirates of your video doorbell. Plus, you can turn on push notifications to get a phone alert whenever anyone or anything approaches your door, even if they don't ring the doorbell.
- Built to endure the elements: IP65 weather-resistant. Install Wyze Video Doorbell on your door without worrying about interference from the elements. IP65 weather resistance protects this doorbell from rain, snow, and sun.
- Chime Included: Hear your doorbell ring, chirp, or bark from any room. Pair any number of Wyze Chimes with your doorbell so every room in your house is ready to alert you when someone’s at the door. One chime is included with each Wyze Video Doorbell.
- Color Night Vision: Record night time video in full, vivid color in environments up to 25x darker than traditional cameras.
- Indoor/Outdoor (IP65): The Wyze Cam v3 is a wired water-resistant, video camera that you can confidently install outside in the rain or inside in the kids’ room.
- Motion & Sound detection: The Wyze Cam v3 records video when motion & sound are detected and sends an alert to your phone. Motion Detection Zones let you adjust the sensitivity of detection.
- Two-way audio: Greet and speak with visitors with loud two-way audio. The Wyze Cam v3 also has a siren button you can press to scare off unwanted guests.
- 24/7 Continuous Recording: Continuous video recording with a 32GB MicroSD card (sold separately). Just insert the MicroSD into the base of the Wyze Cam and you’re all set.
- Pan/Tilt/Zoom: Follow the action wherever it goes with 360° of horizontal coverage and 93° vertical range. Set the camera’s patrol route with up to 4 custom waypoints.
- 1080P Color Night Vision: Wyze Cam is equipped with a Starlight sensor that allows the camera to see color in extremely low light conditions.
- Two-Way Audio & Mini-Siren: Talk to your pet/baby/kid/parent from anywhere. Press the siren button in the Wyze app to scare off unwanted guests.
- Works with Alexa and Google Assistant: Use your voice to view Wyze Cam's live stream on any Alexa or Google Assistant device with a screen. You can say things like “Alexa, show me the living room” or “Google, show me the baby room.”
- 24/7 Continuous Recording: MicroSD card slot for 24/7 continuous recording and time lapse. Take stunning time-lapse videos over long periods of time. Requires a Wyze micro SD card (sold separately).
- 1080p full HD live stream direct to your smartphone day or night with night vision (up to 30 ft. away), works with 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi networks (does not support 5 GHz Wi-Fi)
- Rotates horizontally and vertically so you can track your pet across the room. Features night vision so you can see your paw-tner in the evening without waking him up.
- Magnetic base, 6 ft. power cable and included adhesive metal plate let you mount your Wyze cam anywhere - no screws required
- Ships with an extendable storage 32 GB microSD HC card that enables 24/7 continuous recording, time lapses and local storage
- Use your voice to view Wyze Cam's live stream on any Alexa or Google Assistant device with a screen. You can say things like “Alexa, show me the living room” or “Ok Google, show the kids' room.”
- Battery powered and wire-free: Mount it anywhere and leave it there. Get up to 6 months battery life on a single charge.
- Easy installation: Skip running wires or searching for outlets. Friendly step-by-step guides in the Wyze app make wireless DIY install a breeze.
- Protect every corner of your home: Connect up to 4 cameras to a single base station and view all video streams in the Wyze app.
- Smart security: Get notified about movement with a PIR sensor that senses body heat. Set custom detection zones. Person and package detection available with CamPlus.
- IP65 weather resistance: Built to perform even in the harshest conditions.
Last update on 2023-05-15