If you’ve ever compared 4K footage to “full HD” (i.e., 1080p) video, you’ll notice a significant difference. 4K video has multiple times the number of pixels as 1080p video, which means it has significantly more detail.
So, if you have a smart doorbell to assist secure your property from theft, doesn’t it make sense to have a smart doorbell that records in the greatest quality possible?
This is correct, but there are a few viable 4K smart doorbell possibilities (including Feels and a DIY technique), albeit you are currently pretty limited. Fortunately, a few smart doorbells have recording quality superior to ‘full HD.’
Smart Doorbells and the Problem With ‘Full HD’ Recording Quality
Smart doorbells are fantastic since they replace (or sit beside) your standard doorbell and, in addition to alerting you when someone approaches your front door, they record persons who stroll close. This might be handy for crime prevention as well as keeping a watch on your community in general.
While many aren’t full-fledged security systems (like hardwired CCTV cameras), they perform many of the same roles, which means that recording quality is critical.
Currently, many smart doorbells provide ‘full HD’ recording quality, which is 19201080 pixels. While this may appear good – especially because HD stands for High Definition – it does not always enable you to see people’s faces at night or even car plate numbers when they pass by during the day.
This can be aggravating, especially if you need to get a license plate number or view someone’s face in connection with a crime. When you can’t decipher these facts, you’ll wonder what the point of your smart doorbell is.
They are typically useful, but ones that record in higher resolution than full HD are much better.
Why 4K Smart Doorbells Would Be Awesome?
I said before that 4K captures four times the number of pixels as full HD. It’s practical twice as broad and tall (therefore 2 x 2 = four times as many pixels), but what does this mean? Paul Hibbert evaluated a 4K smart camera, demonstrating its different quality over full HD.
If you’ve been to an electronics/TV store in the recent decade, you’ve seen 4K TV screens that compare the quality to full HD – and they show a huge difference between the two video standards.
A 4K shrewd doorbell would be fabulous in light of the fact that, rather than attempting to make out vehicle plate numbers and individuals’ countenances from a good way, you would have the option to do it easily – an unmistakable benefit over full HD.
So, are there any 4K smart doorbells on the market? So, in the next two sections, I’ll go through this.
Feels: the World’s first 4K smart doorbell?!
None of the major smart doorbell manufacturers, including Ring, Nest, and Eufy, offer 4K smart doorbells. In reality, a search on Amazon for “4K smart doorbell” yields… no relevant results. Oh, no.
There are a few clarifications behind this (as I portray in the “Defects with 4K brilliant doorbells” segment underneath) yet fortunately, Feels – a relatively new player in the smart home field – has a well-funded IndieGoGo campaign that has already resulted in the production of hundreds of 4K smart doorbells.
Unfortunately, despite original targets for December 2020 delivery, the most recent reports (as of February 2020) indicated what had pushed things back for various reasons, including China production delays and the pandemic effect.
There have also been some complaints from backers that the program contains several issues. New Feels app upgrades are coming out all the time to fix these issues, but the Feels 4K doorbell is still in the works.
Nonetheless, I’m hoping that it’ll be able to overcome its manufacturing challenges since I’d want to put it through its paces. Can you ‘DIY’ it because no other ‘off the shelf’ doorbells offer 3840×2160 resolution?
A DIY 4K Smart Doorbell
Several online instructions teach you how to create a smart doorbell yourself – using a Raspberry Pi. These range in price from $40 to $150, depending on what you want to accomplish, in any case, many individuals go for a straightforward 1080p (Full HD) camera focal point.
Nonetheless, in April 2020, the Raspberry Pi blog unveiled a new 4K camera for $50. This can record at 40-60 fps relying upon settings, which is fairly momentous – especially given that Ring devices often only accomplish 15 fps.
On Amazon, you can also find a little cheaper Pi-compatible camera named Arducam. This records at a higher resolution than 4K (at 4192×3120 pixels), however, only at 12 frames per second.
So, if you’re up for a challenge, creating your Pi-powered smart doorbell may be a great idea – especially if you use Sony’s official Pi camera, which can arrive at an undeniable degree of FPS even at 4K goal.
Why FPS Matters (Both Good and Bad)
FPS stands for ‘first-person shooter,’ as most gamers are aware. In this context, it stands for ‘frames per second.’ A frame is a collection of numerous still pictures that make up a video. As a result, if a movie has 30 still pictures (frames) every second, it is referred to as a 30 fps video.
This is significant because if a video were just two frames per second (for example), you’d only get two pictures per second – resulting in an extremely jumpy film that may miss vital details like the license plate number of a passing automobile. As a result, a greater frame rate is preferable.
I am generally speaking! As the next section explains, a high FPS mixed with 4K video quality might be a drawback.
The Flaws With 4K Smart Doorbells
The concept of high FPS, high-resolution video is fantastic: you can see people’s faces and license plate numbers even if they’re sprinting (or driving) by.
However, keep in mind that smart cameras include smart functions, such as only getting motion alerts if it detects a person. Alternatively, you can get notifications if motion is detected in a certain camera zone (such as a path or walkway).
All of this requires on-device computing power to function properly. However, the more frames in a video (i.e., the higher the FPS), the more needed processing power. This is also true for pixels: the more pixels there are, the more necessary processing.
On the off chance that you had a full HD 15 fps video (say, from Ring) and compared it to a 4K 30 fps video (say, from a DIY smart doorbell), you’d need 8x the processing power to monitor the video stream effectively and send out the required messages.
Ouch. This isn’t ideal, especially because it will inevitably cost more money because more powerful gear will be required.
Second, this needs additional storage space. In the event that you store the video cuts locally, your NAS should be multiple times the size of a full HD NAS to hold a 4K video.
If you keep the recorded video in the cloud, you will still need to pay for more storage space – and you may need to update your internet connection as well because the needed upload rates will be 4x faster!
The third fault with a 4K smart doorbell consumes significantly more electricity, whether plugged in or battery-powered. This is due to the additional processing needs of 4K footage than full HD video.
Finally, 4K smart doorbells are not widely available! Yes, the Feels doorbell is interesting, but it’s currently a very low-production device that won’t be widely available for a couple of years (if it does enter mainstream production at all, that is). So what’s the other option?
Suitable Alternatives to 4K Smart Doorbells
If you want higher than full HD recording quality (which I do!), there are two popular options: the Ring Doorbell Pro 2 and the Eufy 2K doorbell.
The Eufy 2K doorbell records in a resolution of – you guessed it – 2K. Uh oh, another buzzword! This is better than full HD but poorer than 4K, with a 2560 x 1920.
The Ring Doorbell Pro 2 has a resolution of 1,536p (1536 pixels tall). However, the width is unknown at the time of writing.
Finally, the Nest Hello records at a resolution of 1600 x 1200p. While this implies a narrower vision (1600p vs. 1920p for full HD), it also means a somewhat taller perspective (1200p vs. 1080p for full HD), which helps you see more people while they’re standing by your doorbell.
Best Seller List of 4K Smart Doorbells:
- Revolutionary 4K Ultra HD Video Quality: Experience groundbreaking video quality with our market-leading doorbell, featuring the first-ever 4K Ultra HD capability. Capture unparalleled detail in every frame, setting a new standard for home security
- Fusion Compatibility for Enhanced Performance: This doorbell is Fusion Compatible, ensuring seamless integration with cutting-edge technology for enhanced performance. Stay ahead of the curve with a security system that adapts to the latest innovations
- Color Night Vision for Brighter Visibility: Stand out with Color Night Vision, providing superior video clarity even in low-light conditions. Enjoy better and brighter video in the dark, requiring only ambient lighting to deliver impressive results for round-the-clock surveillance
- Smart Alerts with Comprehensive Detection: Stay informed with Smart Alerts that go beyond the basics. Receive notifications for arrivals, package deliveries, and even if a package is removed—all without any additional fees. Benefit from Person, Vehicle, Animal, and Package detection for a fully comprehensive security solution
- Instant Communication with 2-Way Talk and Quick Response: Answer your door instantly from anywhere with 2-Way Talk functionality. Engage in real-time communication with visitors, or use Quick Response messages if you're occupied. Take control of your property's security with seamless interaction at your fingertips
- 【Voice Changer & Two-way Audio】The doorbell camera is built-in microphone and speaker, you will have a real-time video talk with whoever in front of the camera on any situation.The wireless doorbell with the upgraded feature of changing voices,has 3 optional voice tones which can disguise actual gender and age,to protect of identity and privacy.
- 【1080P HD Video Vision & IR Night Vision】Video doorbell camera can clearly monitor your house with Full HD 1920 X 1080 Megapixel, enhanced IR night vision,range up to 33ft,provides clear visibility even in complete darkness,The doorbell protects your home from day to night.
- 【PIR Motion Detection & Customizable Motion Zones】The wireless doorbell camera built-in PIR Sensor, allows you to receive alarm and push notifications in real-time,once trigger any human detection.Adjustable 5 levels of sensitivity,customizable motion zone,and stable alert plan avoid receiving frequent and unnecessary notifications.
- 【Multi-angle Mounting & Battery Powered】The doorbell camera wireless come with Multi-angle bracket has five adjustable angles（angle Range -45°to 45°).The camera doorbell with built-in battery and low power consumption,keep 90 days of battery life per charge.and connects with 2.4GHz WiFi(Not support 5GHz WiFi).
- 【Local Storage&IP66 Waterpoorf】WiFi smart video doorbells support up to 128G Micro SD(Not Included) storage and Cloud storage (free cloud storage video clarity may decrease,you can switch to local storage).The smart doorbell camera uses high-quality material material casing, IP66 weatherproof , can be used safely in all weather conditions.
- 【3MP 2K HD】See who's at your door with crystal clear 3MP/2K crisp high resolution video, capturing every detail even when you zoom in. Easily identify faces with no worries of grainy images, and enjoy a 160° diagonal field of view showing you everything you need to see outside your door.Controller Type:Android;Amazon Alexa;Google Assistant.Connectivity protocol:Wi-Fi.Power source type:Corded Electric.Controller type :Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa
- 【Instant Notifications & Modular Chime】Get instant push notifications when the doorbell button is pressed or adjust the volume for select times. The modular Chime design allows you to conveniently place your chime where you want, choose from several different tones, and adjust the volume directly on the device. Never miss another delivery or wake your family with an unexpected guest.
- 【2-Way Audio】Kasa Smart home video doorbell gives you the ability to answer your door even when you're not home. Watch live from anywhere, anytime on your phone or favorite supported device, and carry on a crystal-clear 2-way conversation with a single tap on the Kasa app.
- 【Alexa & Google Assistant Compatible】Fully compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, the KD110 can also play video on your favorite supported display with Amazon Echo Show or Google Chrome Cast. Easily get your home security footage up on a larger display such as your TV.
- 【Night or Day, Rain or Shine】With IP64 weatherproofing, the KD110 is ready for harsh particles and rain. Thanks to the built-in IR sensor, see what's there even in the dark up to 30 ft. away. Whether it's night or day, you'll clearly see the visitors, delivery personnel or possible intruders that come to your home.
- 5MP UHD, 40% Improved From 2k: Adopted 7 pieces of an advanced ultra-clear optical glass lens ensures you get sharp, detailed images even in low-light or bright conditions.
- Triple Motion Detection, No False Alerts: Advanced radar and PIR motion sensors and intelligent human detection can distinguish between near and far objects' track, and judge whether they are people or animals.
- 60 Days Loop Recording: Stored videos directly to your HomeBase with built-in 8G memory and view them anytime anywhere, no monthly fee.
- 180 Days From 1 Charge: Built-in rechargeable battery and 58% consumption reduced low-power wireless connection, ensure 180 days of flawless front door coverage from 1 charge.
- 166° Field of View: You could see a person from head to toe or a package on the ground, there are no blind spots.
- 1080p HD wired video doorbell with two-way talk, advanced motion detection, standard 2.4 GHz connectivity and customizable privacy settings.
- Get real-time notifications sent straight to your phone. To hear audio notifications in your home, pair with a Ring Chime, compatible Alexa device, or select the Video Doorbell Wired + Chime bundle. Note: the doorbell will not sound your existing chime.
- Advanced motion detection helps you know when someone’s at your front door before they ring your doorbell.
- Night vision with sharp contrast ensures you’ll never miss a detail – even in the dark.
- Hardwire Video Doorbell Wired using your existing doorbell wiring and the included tool kit for around-the-clock power and peace of mind.
- No Subscription & Privacy Protection: Bothered by endless monthly fees？ It's time to try Mubview camera doorbell wireless no subscription！ Unlike other brands that only offer a 30-day free trial, our front door camera offers a lifetime of free AES encrypted cloud storage(a 7-day free loop recording) for seamless reviewing and sharing of videos. Plus, local storage supports a 128G Micro SD card( not included) to offer unparalleled peace of mind for your home security needs.
- Long-lasting Battery & Stable Connection: MUBVIEW wireless doorbell camera offers a built-in large-capacity battery with low power consumption, ensuring 90 days of power per charge. The wireless doorbell with camera is 100% wire-free and only compatible with 2.4GHz WiFi (Not support 5G). The 2023's newly upgraded chip in our WiFi video doorbell camera ensures a smooth network connection with fewer disconnections You never miss a visitor and have seamless real-time interaction wherever you are.
- Enhanced Detection & Instant Alerts: Get real-time alerts, interact with visitors, deter thieve with a siren and know package delivery right on the mobile device when our video doorbell wireless for apartment detects motion at your doorstep. With AI human detection and adjustable sensitivity, this camera doorbell wireless minimizes false alarms and unnecessary notifications. Set customizable motion zones and schedule alert time easily with our user-friendly app for a tailored doorbell experience
- Two-way Audio & Crystal-clear Video: See and speak to visitors and couriers through 1080P camera and 120°wide angle. The smart doorbell camera features a voice changer for privacy protection and a pre-recorded voice message for quick replies. Always see clearly in darkness with 33ft night vision. Place wireless doorbell chimes battery-powered anywhere like the dining room, kitchen, or back yard without missing any visitors. One wireless video doorbell can be paired with multiple indoor chimes.
- Easy Installation & Premium Support: You can also share the door camera with your family, giving them convenient access to view videos and monitor activities simultaneously through the mobile app. Installing our IP65 weatherproof wireless doorbell is a breeze, taking only a few minutes with the included screws or adhesive tapes. Providing a 2-year warranty, lifetime service, and responsive local customer service, we are committed to addressing any inquiries or concerns you may have.
- Artificial Intelligence for Human Detection: Our AI-powered tech precisely recognizes humans, discarding inconsequential motion from cars and trees.
- Secure and Reliable Cloud Storage: Our AES-128 encrypted cloud storage with optional subscription (available separately) enhances your experience. A 30-day free trial is available for continuous recording and sharing.
- Real-time 2-Way Interaction: Engage with visitors on-the-go, no matter your location.
- Superior Night Vision: Six IR lights combined with a smart sensor provide high-resolution 1080P video recording even in dim conditions, ensuring round-the-clock security.
- Intelligent Motion Alerts: Receive instant notifications on your smartphone upon detecting motion, staying updated on the happenings at your doorstep.
- 【2K 5MP Live View】Always know what happens in front of your door through the Tapo app. With the starlight sensor and 2K 5MP resolution, check all the fine details captured even in low-light environments.
- 【Color Night Vision】With the embedded spotlight and starlight sensor, Tapo D130 reveals high-fidelity details and color at night.
- 【Head-to-Toe 180° View】With the camera’s ultra-wide FOV(180° Diagonal), Tapo 4:3 live view ensures users can check visitors from head-to-toe, which shows more vertical details than other 16:9 doorbells'.
- 【Smart AI Detection and Notification】Smart AI algorithms identify people and cars, and notify users as needed.
- 【IP65 Weatherproof】Offers excellent waterproof and dustproof performance for outdoor scenarios.
- 🔔【Tuya Smart APP & Remote Control】- You can set the wireless doorbell receiver through your smart phone, including setting the music melody, sound level, and set different chimes and names for different transmitters - such as the front door and the back door, through Tuya Smart APP from anywhere, you will receive a mobile notification, knowing that you have missed a visit of the guest.
- 🔔【 Works with Alexa 】 - After Tuya APP and Alexa APP are paired, press the doorbell, the speaker and the doorbell receiver will ring simultaneously, Speaker ring content can be customized. IP55 waterproof rating. Operates normally between -4~140°F and can withstand a variety of harsh weather conditions, Whether you live in Wisconsin or Minnesota.
- 🔔【 Environmental Friendly Wireless Doorbell No Battery Required 】 - Our self-powered wireless doorbell for home have passed the CE, RoHS, FCC Certified. Wireless door bell is able to operate properly within a range of 300ft, after pressing the push button, it will generate electricity by itself and send a stable signal to the receiver - You will no longer worry about when the battery will run out, and you will not miss a friend's knock on the door when the battery is dead.
- 🔔【 Loud Enough Doorbell for Anywhere 】 - Wireless doorbell receiver with 9 levels (including mute)of adjustable volumes from 0 to 105dB, It has 40 chimes to choose from, which is great because you can change the chimes for holidays or whatever is interesting to you - such as the classic “ding dong” or “Westminster chime”. Flashing light indicators are easy for people to notice, including the hearing impaired. The volume is very loud and can be heard throughout the house.
- 🔔【 Easy Installation & Support Expandable 】 - No wiring, No batteries, It only takes 5 minutes to install the doorbells, Simply attach the button to the wall with the 3M adhesive or screws, and then plug the receiver into power the socket to complete the pairing - It does not block the other outlets at all, and is a little box that plugs into any electrical outlet. The doorbell chime kit retains last setting after a power outage. Different transmitters can be set to different tunes.
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
- English (Publication Language)
Last update on 2024-02-15